Avatar universal

Shin guard rash

I have had a bad each on my legs for about four years now. I play field hockey, and the rash lines up right where my shin guards are. I have been to three different dermatologists, each one saying that is is from different things, only one of them said it was from shin guards (which I am almost positive it is). I have tried so many different creams, lotions, and ointments but none of them seem to be working. I started wearing sleeves under my shin guards, and even duct taped the backs of my shin guards, but the rash won't go away. Just recently, bumps starting appearing on my back and arms. Does that have anything to do with my shins? Any suggestions on what I should do?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
*rash not each
Helpful - 0
4851940 tn?1515694593
Make an urgent appointment to see your doctor.

By the look of your legs, it looks like there is inflammation and broken skin - looks like you may have been scratching.  

It is likely that you may have an infection at the moment.

Did the dermatologist ever do a skin swab from your legs?  If not, perhaps they should have done.

At the moment with you having more bumps on your back and arms, this may have something to do with your leg problem, or something different.
It may even be bug bites.

Can you not wear your shin pads for a few weeks to see whether the legs improve?  

You may try bathing with Epsom Salts in your bath.  Epsom salts will help to neutralise the skin pH and aid healing.  You will need to put in a large cupful into your bath water and soak your legs in that.  Add a little baby oil too as Epsom Salts are very drying on their own.  After that you will need to apply a moisturising emollient. Or an antibacterial or antifungal medication depending on the results of the skin swab.

Does the skin on your legs get like this even if you wear cotton socks and put the shin pads over that?  It seem that you have an allergy to the shin pad material.  It may be that with the shin pads being worn it is causing so much sweating that it may be a fungal problem.  It would be interesting to find out if there is any fungal problem on your skin.

I would be a good idea to get a swab taken from the legs and sent to the laboratory for analysis.

Make an appointment and see your doctor to treat the open sores.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions