Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Sun spot on face

Hi, I am a 35 year old female and have had a spot on my face for about 3 years now.  It is totally flat, round, uniform in color(light tan) but is slightly larger than a pencil eraser. I am really scared to get it checked because I'm afraid they will tell me it's melanoma.  I've been using over-the-counter products with retinol and the spot has lightened up a lot.  Does this sound like something serious or just a normal sun spot (I have a very light complexion).  I've read so many articles and they are very confusing...some say that age spots are nothing to worry about and others say that pigmented spots could be a sign of cancer.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.
1 Responses
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Jackie:

Your question illustrates a common but pretty irrational approach you share with many other people: fear of showing a problem to a doctor for fear you'll find out it's a problem.

If this were a problem, that kind of problem could land you in plenty of hot water.  Fortunately, in your case, I'm fairly sure from your description that you have a harmless lentigo, or sun spot.

Do yourself a favor: show the spot to a dermatologist, who can set your mind at ease about this spot, as well as others you're likely to get if your skin is prone to them.  Also, you'll learn good ways to prevent and eliminate them.

Get on the stick, Jackie!  You have nothing to fear but fear itself!

Best

Dr. R
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions