itchy arms = BRACHIORADIAL PRURITUS

all itchy arm sufferers....please look into brachioradial pruritus.  My arms, and only my arms, have itched for 10 years.  no rashes, no psiorias, excema etc.  The creams, allergery pills..my list is extensive as to what I have tried but nothing worked. ---------------The only thing that helps are ice packs. -----------------------
Recently,I had an x-ray to check if I had any nerve impingement in my cervical spine - one of the possible causes but nothing showed so I continue to search for answers.  I did get confirmation of the brachioradial pruritus from a great dermatologist who has only seen 3 cases in his 15 years on the job.  He did a biopsy that he sent to UC Davis for confirmation.  The diagnosis was actually a relief as I have been told that it is so many other things.  
I hope this helps.  I will keep posting if I find anything helpful solutions.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Might I suggest that we all print out these postings and send them to your current dermatologist and/or doctor in an attempt to educate them.  Any thoughts on mailing stuff to  Dr. Oz....sure he must be looking for topics for his new show!!!  Educate Educate Educate.  That the only way to get an answer.  
Helpful - 0
Great idea about Dr. Oz...and I definitely plan to take these posts into the doc when I go to see him.  

Another possible cream for relief (sorry, can't remember if I read this in an earlier post or from another website)-----ICY HOT (or the even the generic equivalent).  It's been working for me lately, but I still want the doc in on this mess, so I'll be going soon.  

tracitb
Helpful - 0
Yes, I have brought a number of these posts into 2 different doctors plus a nutritionist, but not to amny avail. But there WILL be someone who cares enough to read into it. I think the Dr. Oz idea is a great one, and anyone who might have a willing ear and/or audience/resources to help us.

I think I also mentioned Icy Hot in a post somewhere on this site (btw, threads appear for Brachioradial Pruritus in both dermatology AND in neurology, at least, maybe elsewhere on this site too, so read on....)  I am also currently using White Flower oil, which has menthol in it...basically anything with menthol in it (like Icy Hot)  can provide some relief.

Keep at it guys...it at least feels good to have a dialogue with you, and gives me some hope that we may be able to find help somewhere if we band together.....? THANKS!
Helpful - 0
Thanks for this site.  I'm a 65 year old male and this thing has been driving me nuts!  I still work full time and staying up half the night or more with ice packs on my arms until I drop from exhaustion is getting very old (like me).  I too have tried cortizone creams and ointments and antihistamines and calamine lotion.  I have tried washing my arms. I spend virtually every day at my desk in support of technology at a large prosecutors office.  I work from home all the time and many days do not get out at all.  I have very high filtration filters in my A/C.  I am grateful for the information and experiences expressed on this site. I have printed it out and will take it to my doctor with me this week.
Helpful - 0
Glad you have some supportive insight to take with you...good luck to you. Keep us posted!
Helpful - 0
I wanted to tell you all about another blog site that I came across in my research of BPR.

http://thedermblog.com/2008/02/24/brachioradial-pruritis-scratching-makes-the-itching-worse/comment-page-3/#comments

I have this also, I suffered trauma from a fall 5 years ago and am quite certain nerve damage to the C5-6 area plays a role!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community