Dermatology Forum

small red dot with black in it -cancerous??

I have a small red raised bump on my wrist which is about the size of a pin head. It has some black ( a black dot) inside of it. I associate black wiith melanoma. Since this is so small, I never thought it was something to be concerned about. Now I'm not sure. In terms of my history, I had a lentigo maligna many years ago, so I am at an increased risk for melanoma. Needless to say, anything unusual I see now worries me...

Thanks,
Eilee
A black spot of that size could be a freckle, or just blood in the skin from minor trauma.  I suggest you leave it alone and show it to a doctor.  if you have a history of lentigo maligna, you should be seeing a doctor regularly for surveillance anyway.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions