Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Loved one diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes - what to expect?

Recently someone i know and love was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I just want to know what will happen to her life expectancy if she starts treatment and keeps on it regularly.
Hello and welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question although we are sorry you have a family member recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  Please know that this can be managed.  Your loved one should work with their doctor closely and perhaps a diabetes nurse educator that the doctor recommends.  Here is some helpful information on managing type one diabetes.      https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-1-diabetes/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353017

Treatment typically involves:
  Taking insulin
Carbohydrate, fat and protein counting
Frequent blood sugar monitoring
Eating healthy foods
Exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy weight

While it is a chronic and life long condition, managing diabetes type 1 becomes part of someone's life and they can lead a long, productive life when they are careful with their disease.  Best to you and your loved one.
COMMUNITY LEADER
With excellent management her life expectancy should be just about the same as a person without type 1 diabetes.  However, she will need to be careful with diet and work to maintain her blood sugars as close to non-diabetic levels as possible.  Some people with type 1 diabetes find that a very low carb diet is very helpful for normalizing sugar levels, along with insulin dosing, of course.  I have had diabetes for 11 years now and using insulin for 11 years... my a1c is usually 5.0 - 5.2.  I eat very low carb.  I have no detectable diabetes complications.
I agree that type one diabetes is manageable.  Does your loved one work with anyone in the office like a nurse to help get stabilized and used to checking levels and things like that?