Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS

I have had a blood sugar test and gave a reading of 6.1 about 1 hour after a breakfast (Weetabix, Milk, Orange Juice).
I have to go back and have  repeat test but after having nothing to eat approx 9 hours beforehand....will this give an increased or decreased reading.
3 Responses
141598 tn?1355671763
A fasting glucose test will give a fairly accurate reading of the amount of excess glucose floating around your blood streams. A measurement of 5.0 mmol/l is considered normal, not diabetic.
thanks for that but does not answer question about whether the level will increase or decrease from random(non fasting).
141598 tn?1355671763
We need to have some clarification. Your first question asked about an increase or decrease while fasting (prandial) - "nothing to eat approx 9 hours beforehand". I answered this question with what is considered the normal value, 5.0 mmo/l. I apologize if this was insufficient information. However, between 4.0 to 5.0 mmo/l fasting is your goal. There are too many unknowns to make a determined guess as to whether your glucose will increase or decrease because lifestyle is a major contributing factor.

To answer your latest question "whether the level will increase or decrease from random(non fasting", the answer is yes, increases after meals. See this link for a full explanation on diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.org/about-diabetes.jsp
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 2 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.