Diabetes - Type 2 Community

Diabetes and Surgery

It has been almost two years since my husband had hernia surgery. Since then he has been very ill. He has pain from the surgery in navel area with shooting pain down his right leg. It has been discovered he has diabetes and is believed to have autonomic neuropathy. He has pressure in his head, a overall sick feeling after he eats with a flushed face, forgetfulness, numbness in his left food, tingling in his hands and feet, light headed when he stands up. He has not driven since. When he had surgery it was not known he was diabetic. He had general anesthetic with a breathing tube. He never had this problem prior to surgery and now his health is falling apart. I realize this is a stumper and I am trying to find him help. He is a 55 year old male. Gabapentin offers a very short relief and Clonidine has not helped. Need help!
COMMUNITY LEADER

sorry to hear your husband is so unwell.

The stress of something like a surgery can trigger or worsen diabetes.

How are his blood sugars now?  What is is A1C and his Fasting, and 2 hours after eating sugars like?

Is his weight normal?

The best thing I could recommend now is very very good control of the blood sugars to try to give his body a chance of healing and responding to the meds.