Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 2 Community
3.49k Members

Diabetes and Surgery

It has been almost two years since my husband had hernia surgery. Since then he has been very ill. He has pain from the surgery in navel area with shooting pain down his right leg. It has been discovered he has diabetes and is believed to have autonomic neuropathy. He has pressure in his head, a overall sick feeling after he eats with a flushed face, forgetfulness, numbness in his left food, tingling in his hands and feet, light headed when he stands up. He has not driven since. When he had surgery it was not known he was diabetic. He had general anesthetic with a breathing tube. He never had this problem prior to surgery and now his health is falling apart. I realize this is a stumper and I am trying to find him help. He is a 55 year old male. Gabapentin offers a very short relief and Clonidine has not helped. Need help!
1 Responses
231441 tn?1333892766
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi,

sorry to hear your husband is so unwell.

The stress of something like a surgery can trigger or worsen diabetes.

How are his blood sugars now?  What is is A1C and his Fasting, and 2 hours after eating sugars like?

Is his weight normal?

The best thing I could recommend now is very very good control of the blood sugars to try to give his body a chance of healing and responding to the meds.
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.