Diabetes - Type 2 Community

Diabetic Neuropathy Pain in Feet. What can I Take?

I have diabetes neuropathy my feet hurt all the time I also have neuropathy in my arms I take Gabapentin. Is there anything else I can take other medicines and is the pain in my feet going to last a lifetime its been two years now and my feet feel like dried up leather.
Gabapentin is first-line therapy for neuropathic pain. This review article provides an overview of current treatment and future therapeutic approaches: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6431761/
Hello and welcome to the forum.  Thank you for your question.  Besides the excellent article Chin_C has linked, you can copy and paste this into your browser as well https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-neuropathy/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20371587.  Diabetic neuropathy is uncomfortable and we hope you are able to effectively alleviate it.  Work with your doctor for guidance.  The most important thing is to slow the progression which means controlling your diabetes. Keeping your numbers in the target range is important for controlling diabetic neuropathy. Gabapentin is a choice and there are others.  Anti seizure drugs have been show to be effective such as Lyrica.  But also, antidepressants have worked for some.  Tricyclic antidepressants which are an older class have been used and work well but do have a fair number of side effects.  The newer class of antidepressant called SNRI (Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors) have fewer side effects and Cymbalta is usually the first line choice but there are others as well. Overall, staying active on a daily basis and ditching habits like smoking are helpful for controlling diabetic neuropathy.  Let us know how you are doing.
COMMUNITY LEADER

diabetic neuropathy is indeed difficult to deal with.  There are some drugs that may help, however, as mentioned above even more critical is controlling your blood  sugars.

Did you know that diabetic neuropathy can be reversed if blood sugars can be normalized.  Typically this would mean reducing hba1c to less than 6.0 (closer to 5.0) is better, and keeping blood sugars in the range of 70 - 120/140 as much as possible.

When nerves heal they can be very painful. H owever, the pain should get better in a few months of keep sugars normal.

How to keep sugars normal?  Strict control of diet, low carb or ketogenic approach typically works best. Weight management, regular exercise as much as you can manage. Frequent testing so you get feedback that you are doing is working, and medications as required.

Hope this helps and you can find some relief.