Diabetes Forum

diabetes

My Dr. just informed me that my blood work came back and my sugar level was 112.  I am 52, 5'3" and weigh 132.  I walk almost everyday about a mile.  I do have diabetes on my mother and father's side of the family.  But they do not have it.  Could it be possible for me to get it.
In general a family history does put you at higher risk of developing diabetes in future, but not all people with diabetes have a known family member with the disease. You did not mention if the bloodwork was fasting or not. If it was, then you have what is called impaired fasting glucose, and should have a 2 hour glucose tolerance test as a follow up. If the test was a random blood test , then you should do one fasting to see what your sugar level is then.
You are currently not overweight and you are doing a wonderful things by walking every day. Keep an eye on your diet as well. Take care and let me know if you have other questions.
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.