Statutory Rap! Really? help!

I'm 37 weeks, me and my boyfriends been together for two years. His parents are wantin me to be put in jail! :'(  I'm. 20 & his 16. Hes lived wit me and I've lived wit him. As of right now we aren't living together. Can they get me for statutory rap? Will I be able to have him at our daughters birth? Will he be able to be on the birth certifie? Oh yeah I live in Tn .
Unless his parents have consented to your relationship there is a real possibility you could face legal action.
Look into your state laws. In GA if you're 16 you can have sex with a older person and its considered consentual sex.
His parents had been ok with us being together and dating up until a few months ago.
If they knew before and had no problem with it then I don't see how you could be put in jail for it, especially if they have let you live with him before. In IL where I live the age of consent is 17 unless you have parental approval of the relationship. You might want to look into consent laws in your state
Tenn. Code § 39-13-506 Statutory rape

Mitigated statutory rape, class E felony, if victim is at least 15 but under 18, and offender is at least four but not more than five years older than victimStatutory rape, class E felony, if:Victim is at least 13 but under 15, and offender is at least four years older but less than 10 years older than victim, orVictim is at least 15 but under 18, and offender is more than five years older but less than 10 years older than victimAggravated statutory rape, class D felony, if victim is at least 13 but under 18, and offender is at least 10 years older than victim
In ohio if you are 16 and over it is legal for you to be with an individual I beleive 3-4 years age difference.
Those are the laws i found for it in Tn didn't say anything about parental consent ..  here in California there's no parental consent you get a mistameanor & up too a year in county if the age difference is over 3 years & 3 months . Goodluck
@scarlet the only proof I have of living with him is word I paid rent to his family I never got a receipt or nothin bc I didn't think this would happen. A detective called me sayin she needed to talk to me about the relationship. She asked if the baby was his I just didnt answer the question. The consent age here in Tn is 18 I believe but still his parents freakin knew!
I would get a lawyer
:( you might want to get some legal representation especially if a detective has contacted you.
I would strongly urge you to get a lawyer.  You could be looking at prison, having to register as a sex offender, and the possibility of losing your child and/or not having him legally become the father.
@julie. So that means yes I could be put in jail even tho his parents knew and didnt. Mind it up until a few months
I didn't know about TN law and if there is no mention of parental consent then yes you could be put in jail for this :( :(
His parent's knowledge or consent means nothing. It won't have any bearing on how the law views this.
Oh my gosh that is horrible! :( I can't afford a lawyer and court a pointed "lawyer's" suck
@Ella. Thanks for letting me know that.
Thays mean whay his parents are doing they lwt you live together fpr 2 years amd out of no where they jist want to screw ypu over damn thay really ***** I was 15 when I met my bf he was 27 and he asked my parents consent for us ro be rogether in case anything you know amd nkw im 21 amd were still together. But my bf was always careful. Because he was scared
Yes that's exactly what it means . I would be very cautious , your baby could more than likely be taken away . Even if you get a lawyer they can still put you in jail & take your child & place them in a home until the case is figured out I'm so sorry
Omg im getting scared fpr you best of luck try to talking to his parents and tell them you dont wamt to be taken from your daughter and thay your dauggter needs her mom try to work something out to be in good terms with them
@Julie. That's horrible! :'( I grew up in.the court systems, homes,& group homes its no way to live. & I DEFIANTLY DON'T WANT baby Milia in the systems
I am confused as to why you're dating someone so young bring 20? I could understand you being 18, but 20? You've been a legal adult for two years now. You were 18 and he was only 14 when you got together since you're now 20 and he is 16 and it'a been a 2 year relationship??
If they already contacted the police there is no way to take back the complaint. The state has to investigate and prosecute all substantiated statutory rape charges.
I was 15 and my boyfriend was 20 when we started dating. I would have hated for him to get in any trouble. Hope you can get through this.
@Bsny I didn't ask you to be concerned about our two relationship or whatever. & yeah he was fourteen and I was 18 he lied about his age. His parents knew my age when we got together. Honestly they should be bashed for it too. So um thank you
2

You are reading content posted in the Divorce & Breakups Community