Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.4k Members

Does my dachshund have IVDD?

My four-year-old dachshund is showing some symptoms for IVDD, but after reading more about it, her symptoms are mild & she is showing the minority of what I see listed ... is this a progressive disease where the symptoms worsen?  She has muscle spasms, doesn't lift her head, avoids going up or down the one step through the laundry room to outside, she has an appetite but won't eat her regular dry food, she is eating chopped turkey & chicken, etc., food I am preparing for her, Her symptoms are not ongoing and continuous ... sometimes she seems like her old self & others she seems incapacitated & mentally somewhere else.   If anyone has or had a dog diagnosed with IVDD, please share your experience ... I have decided to "crate" her to limit movement, and will give her an anti- inflammatory ... I will be very grateful to hear your experiences! Thank you!!
1 Responses
10947669 tn?1414041649
Here are more accurate symptoms of IVDD. These should help you determine if your dog is really suffering from IVDD.

Neck pain and stiffness
Lowered head stance
Back pain and stiffness
Yelping unexpectedly when touched or moving
Abdominal tenderness or tenseness
Arched back
Sensitivity to touch
Sensitivity to movement
Impaired, incomplete or inappropriate urination
Lameness
Dragging one or more legs when walking
“Toeing over” or “knuckling over” when walking or standing
Weakness
Stilted gait; tentative gait
Reluctance to rise
Tremors, trembling, shaking
Lack of coordination
Abnormal reflexes
Collapse
Paralysis in one or more limbs
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365460645
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424653129
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.