A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.4k Members
15457266 tn?1441010779

Fox terrier urinary problems

Hi
My 20 month old female wired-haired fox terrier was operate at 4 months for ectopic ureters. A month or so after the operation she was just like any normal dog although she does enjoys urinating small small amounts very frequently but only in the street. I assume this is just marking territory.
Over the last week or so I'm noticing that she is leaking, usually when lying down. My question is can her ectopic ureter problem be chronic? Is it possible for the condition to repair after the operation? I'm having her checked for urinary infection.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
1 Responses
1916673 tn?1420233270
Hi. An ectopic ureter is a congenital problem, therefore not chronic as such, but an anatomically genetic fault from birth. Surgery (often using laser techniques) does not always correct the problem. The success rate is lower in females than it is in males, varying between 25% and 58%. Therefore, it is likely that surgery has not corrected the problem. Your vet might try phenylpropanolamine, which sometimes improves the outcome.

Urinary infection is certainly a possibility, so it's good you are getting this checked out first.

Tony
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365460645
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424653129
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.