Oh my, what a dilemma. I feel for you, what a tough spot.
Myself, I would go with the anti biotics in case there is some infection, although, I believe that an infection should have shown up in the blood work. If it is from an infection, you should see some improvement, but it takes a couple days for them to 'start' taking effect.
Personally, I would go light on the pain meds. They could mask her reaction and give you a false sense of improvement. Your only judgement of her condition is by her actions. If she were mine, I would do only half the prescribed amount. Even that should give some relief, but you don't want her to become used to, or addicted to, those, or to be 'acting' normal even if she isn't.
You want to CURE the cause, not cover it up.
Did the second vet have an opinion on the possibility of the gauze? What problem it could cause, if any?
My heart goes out to you, I wish I had an answer as to which path to take. Please keep us posted.
I feel terrible for you. What a tough decision.
Myself, I would give the antibiotics a shot. If there is an infection, you should see improvement in a few days. Although I would think an infection would have shown up in the blood work, unless they weren't looking for it.
If she were mine, I would only do half doses on the pain med. You really don't want pain killers covering up the symptoms and make you think she's doing better, when really she isn't. You yourself can only judge how she is doing by how she acts. And you don't want her 'acting' better when she really isn't. Plus you do not want her to get even slightly addicted to the pain med.
You want to cure the CAUSE of her discomfort, not cover it up.
Did the second vet offer any opinion on the possibility of the gauze being left in? What problems it could cause if any?
I don't blame you a bit about another surgery. Only if you absolutely have to.
You might inquire about 'ultra sound' as to whether or not it could detect any gauze. I don't know. I believe an MRI would, but they are expensive. But if someone thinks THEY might have left gauze in her, I would expect them to foot the bill.
Please keep us informed.
I am so sorry your little girl is having these problems. The Vet didn't say her white count was elevated? Any idea why the low grade fever? At least you have seen two Vets. Was thinkng maybe the ureter was nicked. I would try the antibiotics too and see if that might help in case there is some infection. Not sure what you are feeding but you might try cooking up some chicken and rice and feed smaller amounts more often. You could add some low sodium chicken broth. I woukd not want her to have another surgery either but you may have no choice. Hope she improves. Please come back and update.
The Tramadol is going to help with the pain, thus her better mood probably. If there are internal stitches, maybe there is a oribkem with those. Maybe the Baytril will help if there is some underlying infection. If a second surgery will be necessarily, I hope he wouldn't charge you!!
Please keep us updated.