Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members

Labrador weight issues

I have a female Labrador 7years old and a male Labrador 4years old. I would like some knowledge on what their diet should be as whatever they eat makes them gain weight. Currently they are on packaged diet food but I'd like to put them on a healthy diet - real food.  Please do advise.

Also how many times in a year should I get take them for regular checkups and what all tests should I do to cover all problems.

Thank you
1 Responses
612551 tn?1450025775
Too general for me to offer much other than:
1) don't give them scraps (People food), it can be done with care, but not if there is a weight concern
2) Grain free best if using kibble, I believe in general, many dogs don't seem to have a problem with  popular (lower cost mostly) kibble  A mix sith some, no more than half of feeding quantity of canned/wet dog food should help balance diet and give the dog something fun to eat.  Treats? Sparingly and hard treats that help clean the teeth may be best.
3) I'd not take a dog to the vet for a checkup more than once a year...longer if there are no issues and I don't need to get shots for the dog, or a prescription renewal for worms.
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child