My chow did the same thing.And my vet suggested that we take beef out of his diet. After we did that and about a week of antibiotics we had no problem. It might be a beef allergy. To be on the safe side take him to the vet. But give that a try.
Whatever originally caused the irritation is hard to say. But the kerosene could have caused some burning of the skin, and I think by far the best option is to take him to the vet.
It may be Benadryl cream would help. But take him to the vet anyway.
I remember when I was a child, people used to swear by Coal Tar soap for clearing skin problems. I hated the smell of it! It never worked anyway! I suppose that is related to your fiance's uncle's idea that kerosene might help.....but bad idea I think. Never mind, what's done is done. Now that skin needs to get some right medication and heal.
thank you all for your help adnd yes ginger899 kerosene was a bad idea lol