For about half a year my mouth and throat have been so dry/inflammed and/or structurally messed-up that I cannot sit and swallow food without little bits (or more) getting lodged in the pharynx. It's gotten to the point where little bits always feel like they are going down trachea. I can't eat out anymore or around my family because I need to make a terrible hacking noise after every swallow to prevent choking.
FWIW I have had HORRENDOUS allergies, allergic rhinitis/sinusitis, post-nasal drip my whole life, and for much of it I've been taking nasal steroid sprays and antihistamine sprays. I wonder if it is the persistent nasal condition and/or the ingredients in the nasal sprays that have permanently messed up my pharynx. I don't know if excipients (benzalkonium chloride-a preservative) or the medication (corticosteroids) have irritated the tissue or caused some bad sub-clinical infection over many years.
Anyway, I HAVE seen doctors... brought this up to two... one told me it was nothing and I should use a nasal lubricant... other one ordered cookie swallow, UGI, and abdominal ultrasound. All normal. The cookie swallow upsets me, because with the barium milk stuff and a lorna doone cookie (which I chewed completely), I wouldn't have this trouble anyway.
Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, advice? If I have to go on a liquid diet (such as Ensure drinks, or whatever), will I get dyscrasias and die or something? I'm pretty freaked out.