Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Recurrent Nasal Polyps

In the beginning of 2010 I had nasal polyp reduction and turbinate reduction surgery to relieve my sinus congestion. The CT scan showed both maxillary sinuses were completely blocked and that one of them was severely underdeveloped. That surgery went well until the next year. I ended up having sinus pressure and infections that wouldn't go away no make the treatment. ENT decided I needed another polyp reduction surgery. That one also went great. It has been almost 2 years since the second surgery and everything has been going great. Minor cold congestion randomly. However, I am starting to develop the same problems as before. One side of the sinuses won't drain with my sinus rinses daily. There is constant post nasal drip that is turning my throat raw. I can feel the sinus pressure in my cheeks and find it hard to wear my glasses because of the discomfort. I am meeting with my ENT in a week but wanted to see if anyone had a similar story. I'm concerned my polyps have return and in the past they did respond to medical treatment. Do you think I will ultimately have to have another sinus surgery to remove possible polyps again?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If the recurring nasal polyps are causing an obstruction to the sinus drainage or if they are causing problems with breathing, they need to be removed. Inadequate drainage of the sinuses into the nose can cause recurrent sinusitis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life