Sore scab in nose wont go away...been a rough ride...

Here is the story,

I have had a sore in my left nostril for years now towards the cartilage.  No, its not from coke or anything as I have never done anything like that.  I get a scab, I blow it out of my nose, and it comes back 12hrs to 24hrs later. I tried to explain that it blows out on a regular basis.  Sometimes I pick it out and it bleeds.  I use saline spray and saline gel on a regular basis and have used vasaline, bacitracin, and antifungal steroid creme.    

I have gone to 2 ENT specialists.  1st one told me not to pick my scab and it will heal.  Well that’s pretty much impossible because I blow my nose and it comes out (if I keep it lubricated).  Also, the scab covers my airway and is unbearable.  2nd doc cauterized my nose to “shock it” and stimulate cell growth.  It didn’t work.  Was painful as heck and then I found out I was allergic to basitracin.  I then had Nose surgery for a biopsy, and it came back negative, so no cancer (yay!).  He said that is seems like the cells aren’t normal in my nose so it isn’t healing right.

Here is the problem though, from the biopsy, he cut up my nose, and now that area he cut out will not heal either.  So he took a small area that wouldn’t heal, and made it much larger.  As disgusting as this sounds, it forms a scab and oddly resembles a craisin in size and color.  It is like a blood clot and the scab gets so large it blocks my airway, but now it is so far back from the surgery that I cant even see the sore in the mirror.  

I went to the ENT for a follow up, but I ended up seeing another doctor and they told me to just keep it moist.  It was typical but useless advice because it just keeps scabbing up!  Anyways, I am seeing the ENT that did my surgery on Friday, and I hope he has some sort of solution.  It just doesn’t make sense, some weeks I try to leave it alone for a couple days, and it feels like it might scab up and never come back, then I blow the scab out and it feels completely gone!  But then it comes back within a day.  

I am mentally and physically exhausted from this nose issue   I feel like I have done everything in my power, and it is even worse than when I started.  Any advice or related stories are welcomed.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Great info guys!  I have had my nose cauterized...It's where they stick acid on the end of a wooden applicator and the chemical burns the bleeding blood vessel, it helped on one side, but the other side is just as dry as can be.  I am a Student Nurse and during Micro-Biology we swabbed and cultured the inside of our noses.  I tested positive for MRSA.  For about 2-3 weeks I showered with Hibiclens (OTC & Walgreens has their own less expensive brand) **(let the soap sit on your skin for at least a minute, pay close attention to arm pit and pubic regions (warm and moist) as this is where the germs love to hide).  I also used Mupirocen ointment in my nose.  Well, tested again and no CA-MRSA.  But the scab is still there!  
Helpful - 0
Any updates from anyone? I have had this excact issue for over 7 years now. It was on both sides originally but it went away on the right side and got worse on the left. It causes constant pain in my head and teeth (effects my trigeminal nerve which was irritated after my wisdom teeth came out). I have headaches all the time which are worse after blowing/picking. I cannot believe there are so many people with this issue and no cure. I hope to find a natural solution as well but I can't even get a good diagnosis. The ENT I saw told me it was a staph infection and there is nothing that I can do about it except use Bacitran (an ointment intended for dry skin) which might lesson it a little.
Helpful - 0
I have had the same problem for years and I have finally found the root cause for myself.  It turned out to be dairy causing the problem.  I would never go a day without one nostril being fully clogged and by accident I discovered what was causing the problem.  I started exercising and as a result started to cut out fat in my diet.  Most importantly dairy products.  I switched from drinking milk to vanilla almond milk (gross at first, but love it now), cheese (cut down on the pizza) and took out the cream and started going black with my coffee's.  Well, within week or two I noticed that when I laid down at night or got up in the morning my nose never gets plugged and doesn't run nearly as much as it use to run.  The scab is still comes back, BUT it is really small and takes a long time before I need to pick at it or it interferes with my breathing.  It definitely doesn't build up as quickly as it use to and I am assuming this is because with the lack of dairy my nose doesn't run as often as it use to run.  I haven't taken myself 100% off dairy  as that has been really hard, but with the reduction I have made it has definitely made a HUGE difference to this problem that had been driving me nuts for years. Give it a shot and report back in a couple of weeks to let others know whether or not  dairy was your problem as well.  Would be nice if this was the problem for several of you as well.  Good luck
Helpful - 0
oh man I just read my biography! I'm going to try cortison, diaper cream (eww), mentholatum-ya for grandmas!, and lansinoh! Hopefully, one of these works! I'll post back with results! Just yesterday I was told by another doctor do not use Neosporin when it has been recommended by my pcp and a pharmacist! geez who to believe but I do still have this on going pita!

Thanks all!
Helpful - 0
i agree with the dairy products.  I am 60 years old -  about 10 years ago I started having problems of dry skin, including inside of my nose, and eczema on my hands and back.  I changed to goats milk, which has helped a lot but not totally cured it.  I think the answer lies here with foods, especially dairy products and, instead of finding a cure, try to find the cause by changing and introducing  alternative products
Helpful - 0
I had this as well... I had two areas in my left nostril. One was really high up in my nose, the other near the entrance. Now I've had these for probably over a decade or more. I saw one ENT and they said it was a wart (they said they were guessing, they were going to burn it out). I said, nah, I'm good and left. I actually got one of those dry ice wart applicators to cauterize it... it worked. 4-5 years later it came back. Then a few years later one higher up came into existence. I went to a new ENT, and he cauterized with this stuff (forgot name) but it was put on a very small q-tip. It healed completely, it's been over 2 years. I'm going to have him do the one near my nostril entrance.

Reason as to why this happens. Deviated septum perhaps? When you breath in the air sometimes hits the internal area of the nose, where it's tender and is just blood vessels so it dries out. So basically have your septum fixed, or learn to love ointment and blowing out scabs. Maybe you're lucky like me and it was just a scab that couldn't heal without cauterizing. A broken blood vessel that won't heal.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life