emphysema or chronic bronchitis

Having a FEV1 of  27%, twice a year I go for free checkups at a local public hospital here in Spain and see a different lung doctor every time, they all agree I have severe COPD but while most of them  say I have chronic bronchitis, the one I saw a couple weeks ago said no, no, I had emphysema instead. I don't know why I'd like to know, even though both diseases are incurable and progressive, I'd like to know which one I'm probably going to die from. Now my question is: Is there a way to determine which of the two I have? Is there anything I could tell the doctor during my next checkup in April to have him/her formulate a more accurate diagnosis? Thanks for any suggestion. Good luck to all fellow sufferers - forum readers!
Hi, COPD is a permanent change to the lungs, whereas symptoms of bronchitis can keep varying. The normal spirometry values are FVC-80-120% and FEV-80-120%. Also, FEV1/FVC ratio, is a calculated ratio used in the diagnosis of obstructive and restrictive diseases. A diagnosis of COPD is made when the FEV1/FVC ratio is less than 70%. In bronchitis there will be pre and post bronchodilator improvement in spirometry values indicating bronchospasm. But both conditions can co exist. Regards.
Dear Doctor Paderla
thanks a lot for your explanation (though I'm afraid it is telling me that have both!). Best regards, 26245

You are reading content posted in the Emphysema Community

In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.