Endometriosis Community

Hysterectomy in Early 30s?

I'm 32 and was diagnosed with endo 2 years ago during my tubal ligation surgery. Since the surgery my periods have become increasingly painful (an 11 out of 10). I am also having more break through bleeding, pain with sex, and just feeling exhausted even between periods more... I can't do hormone therapy bc it makes me sick (birth control, etc.) and I haven't had success finding a bio identical hormone therapist yet. I am considering a hysterectomy but I was told this would shorten my life. However, I also hear that I have a 20-80% increased chance for ovarian and uteran cancer just from having this disease-if that's true, then wouldn't a hysterectomy make even more sense? I am on a soy free and dairy free diet to reduce the estrogen my body produces and I am extremely active and healthy. I'm not sure what else I can do and just dealing with this can't be the answer. Has anyone in their 30s had success with this surgery? What was the experience like? Would you make the same decision again? Has anyone had success with bio identical hormone therapy? If so, do you know of any good ones in the Bay Area? I'm also looking for a support group in the Bay Area...do you know of any you recommend? What other recommendations do you all have? Please help!

I am just going to post a similar answer to someone I responded here to yesterday.

1) Age is a huge factor- The earlier you go into surgical menopause the higher risk you are for early onset of dementia, osteoporosis, cardiovascular diseases etc

2) It is not a cure for Endometriosis and could cause more damage to your organs.

I am wondering if you have seen an Endometriosis specialist.  Most of the time women are operated on by unskilled gynos which is a problem. I will tell you why.

1) A gyno has not been trained to see what all shapes and colors of endo look like so it can be missed and it would be a wasted surgery
2) A gyno does not have the skill to operate on a multi organ disease and should not be. That being said they usually leave endo behind because it is too difficult for them
3) A gyno is usually up all night delivering babies then has surgeries booked for 8am.. This is not the kind of doctor you want operating on you.
4) Gynos do not have the skill of excision which is to cut out the disease from the root. Gyno's usually do ablation which only gets the surface of the disease leaving the rest to continue to grow and with a lot more scar tissue.

My best advice for you is not to give up and not to think that a hysterectomy is a cure because it is not. There is no cure for Endometriosis but there is relief by having surgery done by a skilled Endo surgeon and that is key and its the gold standard of treatment. Also yes endometriosis does put you at a higher risk for uterine, ovarian, breast and melanoma cancer but the percentage you are given is not correct. I would have to look it up. That isn't something that I would be worried about unless you have multiple women in your family that have had ovarian cancer. The risk is very low and I just wanted to make that clear so you understood.  

If you need help finding one near you I can help but please do not believe that a hyster will cure you. It is a false belief out there that many gyno's and regular GP's have pushed forward to their patience because they don't know how to treat the disease and give up. They are not educated enough in this disease. Please don't give up.

I am 39 and had a hyster at 37 but I do not promote doing it and the reasons I had mine were multiple things and I am not better if anything mentally and physically I am alot worse however no endo pain at the moment. Just odd pains every now and then to my ureters and bladder due to the damage from deep infiltrating endo.