Eye Care Community

Extreme Near sightedness and cataract surgery

I am extremely near sighted (-15). I have cataracts but I'm able to get along. How much riskier is cataract surgery for me as opposed to one with normal vision.
First, I would recommend waiting on the cataract surgery until you are clinically ready.  In the meantime you can wear glasses or contacts.  Your increased risk is mainly due to the increased risk of detached retina.  When your are definitely deemed ready for cataract surgery by your ophthalmologist, I would make sure you see a retinal specialist before your surgery to make sure you don't have any pre-existing retinal tears or areas prone to detachment.  Then just find the best cataract surgeon in your area.  Your risk of detached retina will be several times  higher than the average population but risk still probably not more than about 2%.  Just my rough estimate - that would be about 1 in 50 to 1 in 100 just to give you the very worst case scenario - the real risk is likely less.

Michael Kutryb, MD