How is your vision after Cataract Surgery?

Please specify whether you got a monofocal or multifocal/accommodative IOL.

I would like to know what distances you are able to see clearly. What distances are slightly blurry, but acceptable, and what distances are just unbearably blurry.

I am particularly interested in those who have received Monofocal IOL set to Distance but I would also really appreciate hearing those experiences with different IOLs. I have heard from several people that with a IOL Set to Distance, they are still able to use the Computer at about 18 inches. This has confused me since I had thought IOL set to distance makes intermediate distance blurry.

Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It's not the brand of aspheric monofocal IOL that lets you see up close (or not) when your IOL is set for distance vision--it's your eyes.  Your pupil size can make a difference.  Smaller pupils are supposed to have more depth of focus than larger pupils (like mine).  On the other hand, larger pupils are better able to utilize the benefits of having an aspheric IOL.  (These benefits are explained in the patient education video at www tecnisiol com, and they don't apply to only Tecnis IOLs.)  Another point--conventional IOLs provide better depth of focus (i.e., better near vision when the IOL is set for distance) than aspheric IOLs.  But an aspheric IOL provides better distance vision than a conventional IOL.  (Whether or not these differences are truly meaningful is another question.)  There's a lot of marketing hype put out by the IOL manufacturers.  It's probably best to let your surgeon choose the brand of monofocal IOL.  If s/he has a lot of experience with a particular IOL brand/model, that experience can be factored into the power calculations to get you closer to your targeted refraction.  This will make a meaningful difference.  Having an experienced surgeon is a real advantage.  
Helpful - 0
My Acrysoft monofocal left me at plano for one month. During the next month it went to +1.0. Vision is blurry at all distances. Lenses mostly correct this but also have glare, halos, etc.
Since this is my "good" eye my two doctors say I should live with it. So not a happy camper.
Helpful - 0
"Live with it" translates to: "There is nothing that I know how to do to fix this."  You need to see another doctor--preferably someone with special skills at fixing problems.  You might try calling the ophthalmology department of a major medical center to set up an appointment with a senior faculty member who specializes in cataract surgery.  It might be worth traveling to see a doctor with special skills.
Helpful - 0
Your comments are very helpful. (By the way I meant to say "acrylic" not "acetate.") I have small pupils and, before presbyopia set in, had no eye problems, not even astigmatism. Both my sister and brother have had excellent results with monofocals set for distance, and my brother mentioned that he does not need glasses for reading. Perhaps, since he had his surgery a few years ago, his lenses are not aspheric.

I certainly will take the advice of the surgeon, but it helps to be a knowledgeable patient. Otherwise I might become enamored of the ReZoom.
Helpful - 0
I have the Tecnis Acrylic IOL. I was at a point where I would have gone back to progressive glasses again as long as the Restor was out!  After discussing with my surgeon just what I wanted achieve with my vision, he recommended the Tecnis for distance. As I stated before, the results were excellent.  I too had healthy eyes and needed glasses because of presbyopia until the cataracts.  Good luck to you.
Helpful - 0
I have the alcon acrylic toric iols, implanted in both eyes one year ago (August 2009).  They are set for distance w/ slightly different powers.  I can see the tv clearly at 6' away with one eye, yet the other eye is set for about 10'.  I can see great outside, but for most things inside I wear progressive bifocals (clear at the top, 1.25 middle, and 2.50 bottom); this is sooo much easier than having different powered readers all over the house.  I have no problems with night vision or halos or astigmatism and all-in-all am very pleased.  I have tons of floaters (had these before) that I try to ignore.  Have not needed a yag (I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one).
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community