How is your vision after Cataract Surgery?

Please specify whether you got a monofocal or multifocal/accommodative IOL.

I would like to know what distances you are able to see clearly. What distances are slightly blurry, but acceptable, and what distances are just unbearably blurry.

I am particularly interested in those who have received Monofocal IOL set to Distance but I would also really appreciate hearing those experiences with different IOLs. I have heard from several people that with a IOL Set to Distance, they are still able to use the Computer at about 18 inches. This has confused me since I had thought IOL set to distance makes intermediate distance blurry.

Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks a lot for your info.
My right eye vision is pretty good and there is no cataract at this moment.The right eye has minor myopia (-1.5) and read 20/15 at distance and close with glasses. I will not touch it and I am fine with wearing glasses.
Originally my first priority is the Crystalens as I thought a mono-focal lens can function well at a limited range. I don't want to change glasses every 5 minutes to avoid straining my left eye. I am suffering a lot of eye-strain at my left eye due to weak vision induced by the cataract (a complication of the surgery)
It seems the mono-focal lenses of disappointed66 (I think she should change the userid  to goodsight101), your wife and yours can serve quite a very wide range (2ft to infinity) this is as much as a Crystalens. I am changing my mind to Acrysoft IQ.

When you read the monitor without the reader glass, how long can you read without eyestrain ? Have you try to use a light reader to read monitor ? Is there any difference ?

Helpful - 0
After having such trouble with the Restor lens.  I discuscussed with my surgeon as to the vision I would like to acheive  The left eye was seft for distance vision after the Retor was removed.  After the surgery I was able to see intermediate, close as well as distance.  He just  increase every so slightly the distance lense in the right eye..  My surgeon was the one who suggested the aspherical.  I trusted his jusdment. The right decicision was certainly made.  A good surgeon is such am important factor in making a decision.
Good Luck :)    ( Disappointed no more!)
Helpful - 0
Hi Disappointed no more,
Your result (and the one from LynneAV) sounds too good to believe. Had your doctor mentioned this is just a special case for you ?
As you can see distance, intermediate and close with your mono-aspherical, there is no reason to try multi-focal. When I read the principle of the mult-focal, this sounds really unnatural to me. I don't understand how can the brain pick up the image from a lens set to different zones of focal length. If there is big bus picked in front of me, and this bus will span across all the zones of my multi-focal lens, I guess I will see the bus distorted with if I have the mult-focal lens.

BTW, just want to ask do experience eye-strain before the cataract surgery ?
Helpful - 0
Hi Taurus1203,
As someone with multifocal lens vision, maybe I can explain it to you (or confuse you further! LOL!).  The brain is a remarkable thing.  There is no difference in the vision when I go from a distance view and look down to read.  It's automatic, just as it was when I wore distance glasses (before presbyopia set in) and looked down to read.  Nothing different or wierd.  I think the brain does something to "filter" things.  Just as you don't have a "blind spot" in your vision from the space between your eyes.  The brain automatically puts it together.  It's that neuro adaptation thing.  And I do know it takes time, simply because my VA's continually improved over 6 months.  No weird vision during that time, just improving visual accuity.  So looking through my eyes, close, far, or in between, it's "normal".

I did have eyestrain the two weeks in between eye surgeries.  I work quite a bit on the computer at my work.  The operated eye kept improving for reading during the two weeks, and I only had a monofocal distance contact in the other eye.  By the end of the two weeks, I could only work on the computer for about 10 minutes at a time, then had to walk away as I'd get a headache.  Distance vision didn't bother me, but the intermediate and reading did big time just before the second eye surgery.

I don't think I would have done well with monovision.  I don't do well with any imbalance in my vision... I couldn't even walk straight when I tried bifocals once ;)

Did that help?
Helpful - 0
You say your good eye is -1.5 and 20/15 distance and you need a small power reader for it?  I take it you do not currently need correction for it now. Which means that the bad eye will be set for distance to match your good eye? Do you have any astigmatism now, which may require a toric lens? The eyes should be balanced as I understand it. Both implants in my case are the same. Acrysoft SN60WF  Aspherhic 18.0 D power, 13.0mm L and 6.0mm Optic. ( I think most all monofocal IOL's are now aspheric). Before my surgery my right eye was completely blurred by the cataract and I had a minor cataract in my left eye. Like you I was reluctant to have anything done to it. But, after the right eye came out so good I felt,  why not fix the good one now rather than wait. My Dr. agreed and stated that best results occur when both eyes are done at the same time.  Another factor which effected my vision the most was glare caused by the cataracts. I had a lot of eye strain before, because of the unbalanced eyes. In your case, once you fix your bad eye both eyes should be the same.  The only time I use my readers at the monitor is when I'm up close typing from about 15". While I really don't need them in that case, it just makes it easier.  But, kicked back in my chair I can read the screen all day without eye strain.  I know all this is subjective and may be different for others.  I have a Kindle eReader and can set the font to where I never need readers to use it. Especially, outside in the bright sun, I don't even have to take my sunglasses off. I find that reading a newspaper requires my 1.5 readers. And I also need the readers for menus in dark restaurants .  The most important factor obtaining a good outcome is the pre op testing and measurements, and the skill of your Dr. I can't stress that enough! Judging from most of the sad stories here on the forum the pre op measurements and skills required seem to be lacking in those cases. You better live in a big city with top named surgeons and the very latest high tech machines! Good luck.
Helpful - 0
My wife and I both had ours done, and have had people comment on how clear and sparkling our eyes appeared. Yes, they will improve your look! Your eyes will look young again. And, no more red eye in photos, instead they come out sparkly white.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community