Eye Care Community

Laser scars post panretinal photocoagulation

Dear all.
My mom is suffering from low vision. She had proliferative diabetic retinopathy (DM Type I) which was successfully treated with panretinal photocoagulation. Years later, vision is declining dramatically while those laser scars continue to grow across the retina. My question: Is there a treatment to remove these scars? Maybe stem cell therapy? Retinal transplantation? Surgical removement? Anything?
Thanks for all of your answers.
In some cases it is possible to remove scars and fibrous tissue from proliferative retinopathy. Only a retina surgeon who examines the eye can tell you if this complex and major surgery would be helpful. unlike cataract surgery it does not usually restore normal or good vision but some times can make it better. Diabetes remains the major cause of blindness and poor vision in many countries.

If surgery cannot help ask your retina surgeon or general ophthalmologist to refer your mother to a low vision rehabilitation and evaluation center to help her get the most out of her reduced vision.

JCH MD