A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
22.1k Members

MRI eye pain

Hello Doctor,

I suffered a head injury in 2003 that caused a head fracture that deformed my cribriform plate and radiated down my middle, left eye orbit completely. Since 2010 after a minor head injury  I have periodic eye pain with my eyes literally getting smaller in volume (not due to illusion of swollen eyelids) throughout each day (not continuous pain) and my doctor said we might have to do an MRI. My question is: will an MRI with contrast be better if I have inflammation or some foreign biological substance(e.g. CSF, infection etc) near or in my eyes causing these symptoms. Also, is there a type of MRI that I should ask my doctor to prescribe considering my symptoms of eye orbit and skull fracture, so that I have a better chance at a diagnosis (e.g. imaging of the brain around the eyes) or are all MRI's of eyes standard? I feel that my symptoms are due to the fracture directly or indirectly  since I feel a gap where the fracture is located and my eyelids are inflammed and my eyes getting smaller, all concurrently . If its an infection INSIDE the eye will an MRI be able to detect it? Is an ultrasound or other test better to diagnose the cause of my eyes  getting smaller? Ocular plastics and neurosurgeon said they cant do anything about fracture.
1 Responses
711220 tn?1251891127
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The small orbital volume may be due to loss of tissue through a fracture. You should see an orbital or plastic surgeon and have him decide which is the best test.  It is probably a CT or MRI.

Dr. O.
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511755244
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.