Restor Lens Problems

I had cataracts removed 9 weeks ago right eye, 7 weeks ago left eye.  I had the Restor lens put in both eyes.  I have had nothing but problems and curious if anyone else has had similar problems. My first problem was light sensitivity. I had to wear my sunglasses inside for almost 8 weeks (my husband refers to our house as the Bat Cave).  Fluorescent lighting is the worst and thats whats in my office. I had to work with the lights off for the first 8 weeks, I can turn them on now but the light still bothers me. I have dry eyes and it has gotten worse since surgery, the doctor put plugs in my tearducts but I'm constantly putting artificial tears in, which blurs my vision. Then my eyesight kept getting blurry with double vision. The doctor said I have Blepharitis and gave me Azisite. That seems to help but I have to use it every day along with warm compresses and a cleansing routine or the blurry vision gets worse.  She now wants to perform laser surgery on me for a slight astigmatism I have. She says this will help, they gave me glasses to try on with the way it should look after surgery. I can see clearer but still double vision and she doesn't know if that will go away.
I went to another doctor for a second opinion and he said don't do the surgery if there is a chance I'm going to extract the lens and put in a monofocal lens. Now I don't know what to do. I'm scared to have these lens' extracted and would like to try and keep them in. We won't even get into the issue of the so called "halos" around headlights. They are such HUGE spider webs that I can not drive at night any more. Has anyone had any or all of my problems? Has it gotten better with time? Has anyone had the laser surgery for astigmastism after implants? Any help would be appreciated, my quality of life is 0 these days.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I was talked into getting the restor lenses(at a $7000) out of pocket premium over Medicare. Very sorry I did this. After 7months, I am plagued with such severe dry eyes that I look like a Tourettes patient, with all the blinking. I tried  plugs, Rstasis,steroids,Avenova, etc and nothing works. In addition, I can read without glasses, but only when I have a very bright source of auxiliary light, like a miners headlamp. I wish I had gotten the simple, cheaper mono focal lenses. And don't get me started on the 12 halo rings whenever an oncoming car approaches. As far as I am concerned, this new technology is just a way for greedy surgeons to make even more than the Medicare allowances
Helpful - 2
I had the acrysof toric restor lens implants done for both eyes due to cataracts.  This is the worst thing I could have done to myself.  Instead of requiring no glasses I now have computer glasses, reading glasses and progressives.  I could see better with the cataracts than I can now without them!  I was able to get my $4,000 back but it certainly doesn't compensate for the horrible vision issues I have now.

I regret this more than I can say.
Helpful - 2
Same thing with me --- 43 days later foggy-cloudy vision --- Why Why Why
Are things better for you now
That post is from 2015. Start a new question/comment.
how long will I have cloudy/foggy vision
Star another post with your problem. I can't give you an answer with such a brief sentence.
#1 Why do so many people feel something in eye --- What is It?               #2 Why did I see better with cataracts than now with restore ?          #3 Why do I feel Like-I-Was set up for A-Con-Job --- Sold Restore-Lens for $3900.00 each eye out of pocket when I could of done without the surgery for another 15/20 years --- I feel like such a fool ---Who walked into a Eye Care High Pressure Closeing Office !!!!
If you mean feel something in the eye after cataract surgery it can be feeling the incision, a stitch, drying of the corneal surface. You will not be able to feel the implant.     If you saw well before you had cataract surgery why did you have surgery?  If it has not been at least 3-4 weeks post surgery you do not know the final results and you may need to wear glasses over the ReSTOR for some or many things.   I have been telling patient here since 2007 that they need to do their research BEFORE not after surgery.  Still you should go ahead and read this now  http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/1648102/Consider-ALL-the-Options-Before-Your-Cataract-Surgery-Working-Through-Whats-Best-For-You
You can go ahead and get a second opinion from a different surgeon now if you feel your concerns are not being addressed.
DO NOT GET THE ReSTOR PROCEDURE! I can not play golf any longer or play cards! ReSTOR is the worse mistake I have ever made, it is a nightmare living with this. I can assure you that I would do anything to have my God given lens back in my eye's! I had perfect 20/20 and medium vision, my close up was why I had it done. The perfect vision is awful now, it took away my natural tears and constantly putting in artificial tears, I feel like a layer of film like Vaseline is over my lens, eye's feel just like when you have been in a heavily chlorinated pool! Florescent lighting is horrible, I have to wear sun glasses in stores etc... night driving is blinding from the halos around the lights! They feel like dust is in both eye's constantly!  With all the complications it interferes with my concentration and my mind feels cloudy just as people describe during pollen season! Don't even consider ReSTOR it is a nightmare!    
Helpful - 1
Never ever had allergy problems until after the ReSTOR procedure! It has ruined my life!
Helpful - 1
I am in the UK and had my first eye fitted with multifocal 3 years ago which instantly caused halos/glares. Back and forth to the optometrist for 1 year then eventually went for the 2nd eye doing but with a view to discuss the halos/glares with the surgeon first. The surgeon informed me that once the 2nd eye was done it would balance out my eyesight and the halos/glares would disappear - not so! I then had halos/glares in both eyes! This week I finally saw the surgeon again (a different surgeon same Company) who told me I could have an explant but they couldn't guarantee it would stop the halos/glares also it could change the structure of the eye and cause further problems. He said because the halos/glares have been bad from day one it is not the lens that is causing the problem but my brain acknowledging the lens and dealing with the change. He is now suggesting YAG as I have cloudiness particularly in the right eye, and says it could help slightly. To be honest my eye sight too me is fine I just want rid of the halos/glares. I am so unsure of having any more work done to my eyes as I can't possibly deal with anymore problems. Can anyone confirm that there is a possibility it is my brain not being to adjust to the changes. If so I could consider hypnotherapy!!
Helpful - 1
Any IOL can cause halos/glare. That being said the problem is much higher in the multifocal/accommodative group. Some people can adjust to these and tune them out that is called neuroadpatation. Many people they never go away. The problem is the IOL not your brain. What you have been told is true. There is no guarentee that if you had and IOL exchange and a monofocal IOL put in that they would go away. usually they do but not always. There is also the problem of seeing worse due to infection, bleeding, inflammation or retinal detachment so it should be a huge problem before you take that kind of risks. Have no idea how hypnosis might work or not work.
As the doctor says, the odds are good that a lens exchange will improve the halo situation (even if you still have halos, they might be smaller/less troublesome) but there is no guarantee since some people get halos with every lens that exists.   The risk of halos differs even among monofocals, I would be sure to check out the statistics  (or have the doctors provide them to you) before going to the trouble of  having them do a lens exchange.

One concern is that you might wish to research the issue further before getting a YAG.

A YAG can complicate doing a lens exchange since afterwards its probable that are replacement lens could no longer be placed in the capsular bag. A lens exchange can still be done, it merely slightly increases the risks (I don't know how much, I haven't had reason to check on it). They can put a replacement lens outside the bag (or partly in and partly out), and the odds are you'd still have good visual results, though there are fewer lens options available since most lenses are designed for placement inside the bag.

For patients just considering what lens to go with, the Symfony reportedly has a risk of halos comparable to a good monofocal (while providing more near), but the safest bet for someone wanting to get rid of halos and not wishing to risk more problems is to go for a monofocal.
=
=
=
I understand if you had the YAG procedure after the ReSTOR lens... it seals the deal! One lady was told that once you have done the YAG removing the ReSTOR lens would mean 50/50 chance you will go blind!
Helpful - 1
Given all the extra expense of the restor multifocal IOLs, there is total failure to achieve expected outcomes that the glossy advertising propaganda talks about.  Just because you pay for a “premium lens" costing thousands of dollars out of pocket, don't expect better outcome.  A person can research these lens' but ultimately one relies on their MD's recommendation, and my Dr said I was perfect for them.  

My distance vision may be improved by 30%, with the Dr saying I could probably pass the drivers exam (20/40).  No way, even if I could fudge the test, would I drive like this!  I have at least 50% worse reading vision.  Post op I only saw smudgie lines, I've now "improved" to seeing somewhat faded,  broken letters.  

I wasn't expecting youthful 20/20 vision, but the soft-edged vision is unacceptable.  I think I could live with halos, but I have funneling concentric rings at night driving.  The literature boasts not having to rely on corrective lens' anymore.  Well, without corrective lenses, I would need a dog. I have this come-and-go flickering, like a tuning fork, going on and it's annoying.  The Dr frequently harps on there being no guaranty, but is pushing me to have it explanted, before a 6 month time frame.  Do I really want to incur more costs,  and enter into another post op 'no guaranty' zone?  No thanks.  I'm lucky I had the fore site to cancel the other eye implant, so at least I have one good eye which is easily corrected with glasses. Don't. Do. It!
Helpful - 1
re: "My distance vision may be improved by 30%,"

You seem to be lumping in a few issues, some of which you likely would have had even with a monofocal. The distance vision should be comparable to what you would have had with monofocals and the odds are if you'd had a monofocal implanted you would have the same distance vision complaint.  The most common reason would be   your distance vision is off because you were left nearsighted (or less likely, far sighted so your distance vision is between the two best focal points). Could that be the case? Unfortunately there isn't an exact formula used to determine lens power, they base it on statistics about how prior patients have done and the result can be off.  If that is the issue then even with a monofocal lens your distance vision would be bad. You can correct it either with glasses/contacts, laser surgery, piggy back lens, or lens exchange.

If that isn't the explanation, if that is your "best corrected" vision and there is some other eye health issue, then that again would reduce vision with a monofocal as well. The near vision may also be the result of either an eye health problem or the power of the lens being off so reading doesn't fall close to one of its two focal points.  

The halo issue unfortunately happens more frequently with multifocals (and my impression from reading is that other multifocals have  lower odds of issues than the Restor lenses), but even a minority of patients with monofocals get halos. Many of those who see halos see them disappear in the first few years, others can take longer, and a minority unfortunately do continue to have a problem with them.  The "flickering" issue you mention has a variety of possible explanations, since unfortunately that vague general description can apply to multiple possible causes. Some of the issues would  apply to monofocals as well. If it is within the first 6-8 weeks of surgery it may be that the lens hasn't fully healed within the capsule and is moving. Or it may be a "dysphotopsia" which your brain may learn to tune out, or which is sometimes treatable with a piggyback lens or a lens exchange.

In my rare case (unlikely to be your issue, but its possible) the flickering seems likely  to be due to iridodonesis, my iris jiggling (visible in video I made with my phone when experiencing the flickering) when my eye moves, so if this were the issue it would go away if you focus on one spot and become worse when you read. It doesn't seem to  relate to the type of lens implant i have (Symfony, not Restor. It isn't clear if it would be worse or better with a monofocal). In some highly myopic people the artificial lens is enough smaller than the natural lens that the iris looses support and can move. In most cases this doesn't seem to cause visual issues, but in a small fraction  of people it does. I have light colored eyes (blue) but with darker striations in between and so when the iris jiggles the stray light going into the eye varies. Or at least that seems the most likely explanation.
I have all these problems--the dry eyes, the halos, the glare, and I certainly can't read or see at all distances. I was near sighted before the cataract surgery and never wore reading glasses. Now I can't read at all, even with cheaters. I have some mid-range vision. I am totally miserable and the doctor who sold me these keeps saying they're perfect. Not for me! Now I'm having trouble getting the one taken out. I've been to 4 ophthalmologists and I think I've found someone. I can't wait to get rid of this. I stopped after having one implanted. Now to get my money back.
Helpful - 1
Please keep me informed...let me know if it was removed and what replacement was used? Thank you
I understand your misery! My husband had cataract surgery and was told if we paid $3000.each eye he would never have towear glasses again. Never told us it might not work!!His were worse than before he had implanted.Six months they tried all kind of drops in eyes finally he said take right eye out and put long distance only in. Two days after this surgery he started having black in corner of eye.Dr sid it would go away.Week latr it covered half of eye,Called office they wouldn't let us come in for a week.Dr checked sent us straight to Retinal dr. He had torn retinal and detachment. Worse dr ever seen/ Had surgery and now very little vision from all of this.He may never get eye sight again. Dr said we would get money back but haven't so far. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone!!! Bfore this he wore glasses just to read. Now he cant read  or anything.A year of misery and at least two more yrs not knowing what sight he will get back.
Helpful - 1
=
Helpful - 0
I had one Restor lens implanted in Aug 2009 - On my gosh I thought I've been loosing my mind - I have all the same problems as described. I thought this was only happening to me. We all have these problems in common,  I only wish I would have done this research prior to having this procedure done.

I suffer from Migraines - Waxy lens, Major Halo problems, I can't drive, I have a vertigo, light in every form bothers me.

I am opting for the explant & putting in the Monofocal lens - although I am nervous of the risks, I have to say these risks outweigh the problems I suffer with now.

I had a 2nd opinion with another doctor for the explant - I just need to make the decision now to do this. - I'd like to know if those of you that had this explant of the Restor lens had success, I realize everyone is different but I need some positive results.

Thanks so much to all of you for posting your experiences & problems.
I

Helpful - 0
I had Restor lens put in back in 2007.  Halos were very bad but in time they eased up.  Still have some but they weren't as bad until I had Yag lazer in January because membranes covered my eyes again.  Now my distance is blurry and I could cry because prior to this my distance was fabulous and I could read (still can) without glasses.  I guess everyone is different but when they work, they were fabulous.  Don't know if my problem now is lens or if sometyhing else is going on.  Have been to a retina doc and can't get into cataract specialist till mid April.  In the meantime, have started on Restasis for the severe dry eye and have to wait it out.  Don't want to go back to glasses!!!
Helpful - 0
My wife has recently experienced the same issue with the Restor Acysof IQ and the Yag.  She has been using Restasis for now 2 weeks, no improvement.  Returning to the physician this week.   Would like to know if your problem was solved?
Just FYI, restasis takes 4-6 months to work. It is great from dry eyes, I've been on it for 6 years but it does not start to work quickly.
HAVE HAD RESTORE LENS IN RIGHT EYE FOR 5 YRS
IT SUCKED WHEN IT WAS FIRST PUT IN AND IT STILL *****
BLURRY VISION, DOUBLE VISION, STILL WEARING GLASSES, BUT THEY NOT EVEN ABLE TO CORRECT-
Helpful - 0
Has anybody had success with the Alcon mono focal lens?  After reading about the problems associated with Multicol lenses, I'm inclined to have the mono focal lenses inplanted.

Thank You.
Helpful - 0
I have one and it's fine, no problems at all.
I'm considering Restor MultiFocal lenses - are you still having problems with your lenses?
Helpful - 0
Do NOT let them put restor multifocals in your eyes.  I had them implanted in mine in Dec. 2009.  Had similar experience as Zartog did.  Eyes never came into focus at distance, reading, or mid range.  Doctor told me after the fact,
" these lenses are not for everyone, we need to explant them as soon as possible".  
In late January he explanted the right lense And implanted a mono focal which was supposed to remedy the situation.  It would have if he had not damaged the eye in the process.
I had to go to an eye hospital and have another surgery to remove some of the fragments he left behind  from my eye.  Some of them had to be left in my eye because it was too dangerous to remove them.  So the vision in my right
eye is far worse than the left eye which still has the restor lens in it.
I'm stuck now with the restor lens in my left eye forever because it is too dangerous to risk anymore damage to my vision.
This is an example of what can happen.  Don't let it happen to you.  It's too late for my vision.  There is no fix.
Opting for those lenses was the worse mistake Inhave ever made in my entire life. My life is forever changed now with this terrible vision I am stuck with.
If I had only chosen the tried and true monofocals I would not have to be writing this today.
You only have one pair of eyes and they are so  precious.  I cannot undo what I have allowed to be done.  But you can avoid it if you listen to these posts and do not let anyone implant restor lenses, or any other multifocals lenses into your eyes.

Helpful - 0
The thing about both monofocal and multifocal lenses is that one size does NOT fit all, and there is no 'best' lens or blanket recommendation that will suit everyone perfectly. To get the best result--assuming the surgeon is top-notch to begin with--patients and doctors have to devote at least as much thought to the choice as they would if they were considering the purchase of a large screen TV or a sound system.  It's not something to be decided a week from proposed surgery.

The general shape of the eye ('long' or 'short'), the corneal curve and condition, the health of the retina, the type of cataract (for those with them), the patient's most important activities, and the size of the pupil are all factors that must be taken into consideration when lens replacement is at stake.

In carefully selected patients with thoughtful doctors, the reStor is a superb lens that provides essentially perfect, youthful vision.  I know, because I am one of these patients.  Two and a half years after having both natural lenses replaced by reStor D1 lenses, I am delighted and amazed each day to see as well as I did when I was a child.

To read more about those who are happy with their reStors and why, check here (although there are other, harder-to-find testimonials on this Board):

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Eye-Care/multifocal-vs-monfocal-lens/show/1564251
Helpful - 0
All the  problems  you state are happening to me! Horrible vision in my left eye after having a restor lens put in in Oct 2012.  Halos, blurry vision, dry eye ,i ncreased eye pressure, worse astigmatism. my dr. Says to put the restor in my remainiNg eye and it should balance out to have functional vision. No way will i do this. I will also not risk major complications to have the lens explanted . This was an expensive decision and stupid on my part not to research this lens with all its problems. My dr say to try lasik to,get crisper vision. I dont think so  i would tell anyone else considering this lens to absolutely not do it
Helpful - 0
I had the Restor ACR SoIQq lenz surgery Nov 8, 2012  All I can say is Horrible. I have experienced all the same problems & can no longer drive at night.  All light bothers even Sun light.  I have halows around everything .  I was told nothing can be one. Replacement surger is too dangerous.  Do we have ay recourse? Can they keep implanting these lenses when they are causig so many problems?
Helpful - 0
I've had cataract surgery 3 months ago with the ReSTOR lens put in. I've had nothing but trouble since. Eye glasses were used for years prior to the surgery and they were far superior to the surgery and the ReSTOR implants. I'm really sorry this was done.
Helpful - 0
a new surgery to install mono could be very good. BUT make sure the surgeon is the best. It very well might be that this is NOT the woman who did your last one. Find the best surgeon to do it.
Helpful - 0
I can not believe I was sold into the restor lens. I was told if I paid $5,000.00 extra after medicare I would never have to wear glasses again. The halo, never driving at night, double vision, change of life forever is such a hard thing. My family has had to endure all of my suffering because I am afraid to drive. My doctor has recommened two retina specialist, with no avail. Never have the restor lens into your eyes. If you have any new information PLEASE  let everyone know. Hopless 124
Helpful - 0
What is amazing... every eye doctor I have talked with about this absolutely none of them or anyone in their office have had the procedure and most of them wear glasses...  even the person responding to the complaints on here wears glasses! Unless someone has been through it themselves they cannot understand what the people are dealing with! Plus, if the ReSTOR is so great why did they not have the procedure?  I keep coming to this site hoping to find a person that found a doctor that helped them with the problem....negative! I have been on this feed for a long time and never read one positive experience and all of a sudden I am seeing a few positive remarks...hummmm?  
If you are in this forum I hope unlike myself that you are reading this post prior to having restore lens implanted.
Please do you homework before surgery.  Get a second or third opinion. If your ophthalmologist tells you that none of their patients have had problems DO NOT BELIEVE them.
Talk with local opticians that know firsthand that these lens do cause problems.
I had Restore implanted over 6 months ago.  Of course the goal was to be able to see without glasses.
After all, one should expect that after shelling out 4 to5,000 out of pocket they should be able to see.
Was told that I would get used to halos.  I have not found this to be true.  I feel very limited in driving at night.
After allowing 6 months for the EXPECTED improvement of my eyesight I relented to having the YAG laser in one eye.  Honestly could not tell much difference.  
My eyes were so strained and dry that it began to get on my nerves.The worst issue was that I could not see
lights in distance, all was blurry.
I finally had to get corrective lens to have sharp vision again.
Waste of time and money for me.. I would never advise anyone to have these implanted.  Go for the monofocal lens which has much less reported problems and certainly less expensive.
Helpful - 0
March 2013 - RESTOR LENS - EXCELLENT OUTCOME -- I wanted to comment on my great outcome with cataract surgery.  I am 56 years old and had been very nearsighted for many years.  I started to wear glasses in the 3rd grade.  Very nearsighted and had an eyeglass prescription that was well beyond a "minus 6."  My last eyeglass prescription was: OD -12.75 +2.75 x 108; OS -14.50 +0.50 x 042 Add + 2.25; Vertex 13.75.  Since I was very nearsighted and had astigmatism with my right eye, I worried about whether to select a multifocal lens or a monofocal lens.  With this vision, I saw "starring" around car headlights at night and "halos" around car tail lights.  When my cataracts developed, the "starring" and "halos" became dramatic -- long, distorted star points and red halos the size of hula hoops around tail lights.  When I had cataracts, I was struggling to work at my computer and read documents, read books etc.  Dim light affected my ability to work at the computer or read.  Eye fatigue was significant since I work at a computer all day for my job.

I initially was evaluated by a local surgeon who worried about my astigmatism and thought that I should select monofocal lens.  He worried about the Restor lens and wanted to know if I was a "Type A" personality.  My only answer was that when it comes to vision, everyone would say that they are a "type A' when it comes to their eyesight.  He said that if I selected the Restor lens, not to ask for my money back!  He did not discuss any options if any problems did arise.

I was shocked at this discussion and then researched to find a very experienced cataract surgeon.  I went to the Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins.  The doctor discussed my vision, how calculations are made to select the right lens, and options if the surgery did not provide good results.  The experience was very professional, informative and re-assuring.  I was prepared to deal with various techniques to correct vision if the Restor lens did not solve my vision issues immediately.  With his advice, I selected the Restor lens -- the results are EXCELLENT!  I had 20/20 vision in each eye immediately the day after surgery when my eyesight was tested.  I could read the smallest of type from the "reading" card.

I spend 10 -12 hours a day using a computer and I spend my time reading and drafting documents.  I am delighted with the results -- it is easy to use the computer and read and draft documents.  I am an avid reader and like to watch movies with subtitles.  I can do all of this easily again.  I am not affected by dim light.  My vision (close, intermediate and distant) is crisp and clear in all lighting conditions.  Although I have some white small halos around car headlights, I can readily drive at night.  In comparison to vision when I had cataracts, these halos are a minor inconvenience.  I have a number of floaters in both eyes and they are "minor" and "in the background" and not noticeable like before I had surgery. I was told not to expect the eyes that I had as a teenager.  It has been 6 months since my last surgery, and I am so impressed with the quality of my vision.  I have not had this quality of vision (20/20) since the 2nd grade.
The Wilmer Eye Institute was an excellent place to have cataract surgery performed.  Everyone involved with the surgeries and evaluations were professional, friendly and conscientious.  Excellent!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community