Eye Care Community

Retinal holes must be treated?

We had a trying appointment with the paediatric opthalmologist yesterday. It was a routine check up ( he has myopia - 5.5 and - 4. 75). During the exam his pupils were dilated and the doctor said he could see small holes in the periphery of the retina in both eyes. He thinks they should be treated with laser to create scars to seal the holes. He has been generally asymptomatic except three occasions when he had a bright light in the corner of his eye for half a minute followed by a mild headache. This was almost always after playing on the Xbox for too long or watching a video with bright disco lights. There is no history of retinal detachment anywhere in our family. I am myopic ( -6.5) and so is my husband (- 2.75). What are the chances this would progress to a retinal detachment? Is laser treatment a must? Can the retina heal itself? Obviously I want the best for my child, I don't want him to do unnecessary treatments and at the same time I don't want to harm his eyesight in anyway. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.
This question should only be answered by an opthamologist who has examined your child.  If you are not confident in the advice you were given, perhaps you should seek a second opinion.