Sore, puffy, dry, red eyelids... Help needed, as my pharmascist is the definition of useless!

Apologiies in advance for this crazily long post- perhaps if I had forced my pharmacist to read all of this, he might have actually been helpful.....

For the last few weeks I have been suffering from incredibly sensitive eyes/eyelids which are red, dry and sore, similar to sunburn. I initially thought it was because of some cheap make-up remover wipes that I used to take off my mascara. Although I had been using them for a while, they soon started to sting and burn the area around my eyes whenever I used them. The use of any eye make-up other than mascara would result in a stinging sensation, which varied in terms of severity. Moisturiser and even baby-lotion would burn my skin. Since then however, I have been using some Garnier make-up wipes, made for sensitive skin and the problem seemed to get a bit better, although eyeshadow was still strictly off-limits. But then, last Sunday, my eyes had gone back to their previous state, of being very red and sore. I hadn't worn any make-up or used any products on or near my eyes at all on Sunday, so I'm confused as to what caused it to return.

On Monday and Tuesday, several people commented on the state of my eyes, especially the right one, which seemed to be in a worse condition. My eyelids were dry and painful to touch, especially in the corner and it was continuously weeping, until yesterday afternoon when it seemed to heal up to the point where it looked sore, but no longer felt it.

And then today- my awful eyes are worse than ever. While my actual eyes are fine, my eyelids are large,  puffy and as per usual- RED. My left one was expectionally bad, where it was almost hard to keep open. Since the day has gone on, they've somewhat improved, although they remain puffy and red.

One more thing- it may or may not be related but yesterday morning I woke up with a dry, red, sore patch of skin around the left corner of my mouth. When covered up with makeup, it's not so bad, but still notciable and sometimes itchy. I put on some E45 cream today, as I thought this would help, but I think it made it worse as it started stinging and burning almost immediatley. I never had this before, only since the problem has returned to my eyelids. Related, perhaps?

What is going on with my evil, crazy eyes?! I look awful, as I'm very pale and the contrast between my pale face with the random red patch near my mouth and my dry, puffy eyelids makes me resemble something out of a horror film... :( Any ideas of what the problem could be or how to fix it? Or has anyone else suffered similar symptoms? All help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Alex.
Me tooo!!! red puffy itchy flakey eyelids, I went to a pharmacist, and she said she has  had the same problem and that its a fungus, she told me to use lamasil (athletes' foot creme), and so far all the looks of the problem have gone away, its just still kinda itchy, but i think its working, i just started using it a couple of days ago, so we will see.
Hope this helps anyone,
Im just tired of being ugly, without makeup :/
Re: Dry/Sore/Burning/Flaky/Puffy/Itchy Eyelids=Nice!!!
Hi Alex ------ READ CAREFULLY:
I have experienced the same problems as you for a while.  Checked out on the internet and followed some advice: e.g. I bought "MAC Moisturelush Eye Cream" from the Bay ($36 + tax) - but it didn't help. I couldn't find avocado oil, recommended by someone on the internet.
The doctor prescribed me Hyderm Cream 1% - (or Hydrocortisone Acetate 1%)" to use twice a day (morning and night).  Plus, at night, he said I should add (don't laugh!) Preparation H (which is for hemorroydes) on top of the first cream;  he said this would reduce the puffiness within a week.  I followed this treatment for 3-4 days and my eyelids went better, but not 100%. I still felt some dryness (it's like letting egg white dry on the sking...)
What has made me feel REALLY BETTER is this:
1. Use a "beauty mist" or a 'face spa' - you can buy it from any cosmetics department (for about $40-50).  Add 2 camomile tea bags in the water and keep your face (especially your upper part) in the steam for 10-15 min.  
If you don't want to spend the money on the spa, a cheaper method is this:  boil water in a saucepan, add 2-3 camomile tea bags, take the saucepan away from stove, keep your face over it with a towel covering your head and saucepan, so that you capture all the steam onto your face.
2. Apply this excellent Eye Repair Cream around your eyes: "Obsessively EYEWITNESS Organic" produced by 'Kiss My Face Corporation'.  It costs $16.49 + tax at SuperStore in the organic section of the store.
For the first time after a long discomfort I have felt relief and my eyelid skin gets to normal.
It is essential you don't rub or touch your eyes with dirty hands and do throw out all your makeup and start fresh with quality items (doctor recommended MAC).  
I personally have difficulty in finding a good makeup removal.  Remaining makeup cloggs the pores and over time it creates this eyelid problem.  That is why, 'beauty mist' steam is extremely beneficial, as it does an in-depth skin cleaning.  A little makeup break or very little use of makeup is also good for your skin.
I hope this helps (in fact, I'm sure it will help you)!  Good luck!

DD
I had the same problems with my eyelids - ichy, swollen, dry, then the skin would just peel off - it was awful.  I went to the doctor who sent me to the dermatologist.  They said I was allergic to something but did not know what.  I also have RLS (restless leg syndrome) and at night I would take Advil to help alleviate the symptoms.  I realize now that sometimes I would take Aleve instead of the Advil and that is when my eyes would swell up and burn and itch.  I looked up Aleve online and it said that sometimes it causes rashes, swelling, etc.  It is the naproxine that is in Aleve that was causing my problem.  I have not taken Aleve for over 2 years now and have not had a flare up.  I hope this helps.

SD
I just started having this problem about two weeks ago and the thing that has helped so far is maximum strength Neosporin + pain relief. It works right away with the itching and the peeling but there is still some discomfort on my left lid. I use it for a day or two but then it comes back a week later. So I guess it's time to see the doc. I'm 31 and this all knew to me the only thing I have done different is join the Y and use the sauna and the pool.
I have had this too for the last few weeks. Only on one eyelid. Dry, sore and red. The skin is kind of strectched, it's very weird. Nivea made it worse. So I went to pharmacy and got aqueous cream as she thought thats about all you can use on your eyes. Anyway, it's not better although slightly improved, it's still very itchy and dry and pink. I
might go to the docs but reading all your posts possibly a waste of time, like normal. I'm in the UK so can't be thay ingredient and I haven't changed anything either, and it's only on one eyelid. Mysterious.
you all could be allergic to Formaldehyde. This chemical compound is found in pretty much all beauty products- shampoos, nail polish, lotion, make up, clothes, you name it.

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community