Avatar universal

Treatment for Reduced Peripheral Vision

My opthamologist has scheduled me for a test to determine my scope of peripheral vision because I apparently have some reduction of it.  What is the treatment if the reduction is significant?  Do they do any type of surgery?  If so, is it laser surgery and can it be done in the office?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
517208 tn?1211640866
Dear dbmarcomb,

Your eyeMD desires a visual field test to determine what type and if any reduction are present.  Depending on the examination and the results of the test, he/she will make recommendations.  It is difficult to say more without knowing any more specifics about your eye examination and the reduction in peripheral vision observed.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Helpful - 1
203589 tn?1267475170
Treatment depends on what is causing the vision loss. If the loss of vision is due to glaucoma you may require medication (eye drops) which lower the IOP. If the loss is due to a type of RP there may not be much in the way of treatment.
Also, depending on the cause of your vision loss, treatment may be aimed at preventing more vision loss and restoring lost vision may not be possible.
Make sure you discuss the findings w/ your doctor and don't hesitate to ask for more information from him/her if you don't understand what is going on.
Helpful - 1

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.