Eye Care Forum

allergic conjunctivitis or...?

I am 24, F. Yesterday  my left eye began to swell and I have a unilateral fullness sensation around the eye. I thought it was related to my allergies. But now I do not know if I have allergies either. My nose is runny (only on the left side), with really bad itching, sneezing and burning and clear discharges. My left eye has been affected. It is red, and has watery discharges. I do not have any photophobia, itching, headache, or sore throat. What is this? I am beginning to think my brain is swelling. Thank you.
It is possible that this is allergic, but it is unusual that it only involves one side. I would see an ophthalmologist for a complete exam, to rule out other possibilities. In the mean while, you could try cold compresses and chilled artificial tear drops (Refresh or Optive), to see if these give some relief until you can get an appointment.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.