Aa
A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
21.9k Members

surgery caused astigmatism and near sightedness

I have never worn glasses and cataracts were causing deteriorating far vision, especially night far vision. My eye surgeon and I agreed to a mono-vision lens replacement for my cataracts with my right eye to have far vision and my left eye near vision The right eye was done 4 weeks ago and resulted in blurred distance vision with slight astigmatism and fairly good near vision - I can read without glasses. The surgeon decided to then insert a lens so the left eye would have good distance vision. This surgery was done 2 weeks ago. The result was the left eye has a significant astigmatism, so neither eye is capable of distance vision without correction with glasses.
I am very disappointed with these results and wonder how 2 attempts to get a good far vision lens implant could have failed. I have not met with the surgeon since the second surgery yet for an explanation. I believe the surgeon has a very good reputation. One of the options being offered is laser surgery. Should this be an added cost? More importantly, should I be looking for another surgeon, or what I have experienced not uncommon? Thanks
1 Responses
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
There are a number of explanations other than those you posit. In fact moder small incision stitchless cataract surgery rarely causes more than 0.50 diopters of inducted astigmatism and may reduce "against the rule (180 degree)" astigmatism.

1. You may have had corneal astigmatism that was neutralized by lenticular astigmatism. Now that the lens (lenticular) is gone the corneal astigmatism is manifest.
2. Your vision may have been so bad that you could not appreciate pre-existing refractive astigmatism. Now that you are seeing much better you can tell that correction with astigmatic lens makes vision better.

Your astigmatism can be corrected with glasses, contacts, incisional corneal surgery, refractive laser surgery.

JCH MD
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.