Family Health Forum

Chronic Pharyngitis (Sore Throat) - Please Help!!!!

I'm a 23 year old male and I've had a chronic sore throat for over 5 months now.  It's driving me out of my mind.. Please help me where my other Doctors have not..

I've been tested for allergies and I've had a few allergies to trees indiginous to my location.  But upon use of Clarinex, Allegra, Zyrtec, etc. I received no relief.

I had a Barium swallow which showed reflux.. I was treated with 40 mg Nexium, twice a day.  This did not help.

Went to ENT, and took 875 mg of Augmentin for 2 weeks, with no relief!  Actually, it become WORSE on the antibiotics.

I then underwent an endoscopy, pH probe, and subsequent Nissen Fundoplication.  The endoscopy showed a very small area of inflammation and the pH probe showed supine reflux.  But after the Fundoplication surgery - I have received no RELIEF in the throat area.  This was supposed to fix my problem.  But it has been 3 weeks now and there is NO SIGN OF HEALING in my throat.

I've also been tested for HIV, Lupus, Sinusitis, H. Pylori, and have had a thyroid ultrasound.  All of these came back negative or normal!!

The only unexplored avenue that I can see is that in my Sinus CT the radiologist noticed "Septum Deviates to left with Left-sided septal spur."

Is this a possible cause of the problem??

Also let me tell you what my throat looks like..

If i shine a penlight back there I can see red patches and very dilated blood vessels. Also there is a yellowish lump just posterior to my soft palate if I raise my uvula and observe.  The lump is about .5 cm in diameter and slightly raised, but it looks like some of the vessels are originating from it.

Could this be some kind of Oropharyngeal / Nasopharyngeal Cancer?  Or can this just be a case of bad Post Nasal Drip that needs to be corrected with surgery?

I've tried Nasal Washing, and regularly using Sudafed & Guafennesin without any help as well...

I Do notice that if I drink beer or sometimes even after eating, I get the feeling like I need to clear my throat, but can't get anything up.  My voice will also sometimes go hoarse after actively talking for only 20-30 minutes.

Is there anything else this could be???

Thank you for your help!! This really has put me into a major depression and I'm not the person I was 6 months ago.  I just need to fix this problem and move on with my life.

Look forward to your response,
Nick

With all th GI tests and procedures you have had, it is unlikely that a GI source is responsible for the sore throat.  

Infections have been appropriately treated, but you may want to be tested for mononucleosis (with a blood test) to be sure.  

Chronic sinusitis can certainly be considered - if there is concern about possible cancer or a mass, you can consider a scope by your ENT physician for further evaluation.

Another possibility can be allergies leading to chronic post-nasal drip.  A referral to an allergy specialist can be considered for further evaluation.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
BTW, I had my tonsils out last year and it helped for about 4 months..

I started getting a sore throat more and more.. First it was every months, then every two weeks, then every week..

Then I had my tonsils out and it got better for 4 months..

Then every month, then every other week - now its constant!!

I took this as a sign that whatever caused my tonsils to become irritated and have to be removed is still there, only now is affecting my throat...

any thoughts?
-- Can I ask you how long you took NEXIUM-40mg?

In practice, I've found that people with chronic sore throat benefit from this treatment, but it takes awhile (6-8 months) of BID dosing to see real benefits.
I took nexium 40mg twice daily (80mg day) for about 2-3 months, with no improvement..

Also, I've already had mono so I don't think thats the culprit AND my sinus CT came back negative for Sinusitis as I explained earlier..

I was tested for allergies, as I stated, but can that really be causing these symptoms?

thanks,
Nick
Do you think that I'd have to wait longer for the fundoplication to fix the sore throat then?

It's only been 2 weeks, but my throat looks just like it did before the procedure... can it really heal this slow??

Other than the sore throat, I've healed amazingly quick after my operation and I'm back to all normal activities in 14 days :)

Thanks for your help!!

Nick
hey nick,

it seems like your doctors have tried a lot of therapies ... i'd think that with the course of Augmentin & Nexium that LPR and any bacterial infection should have cleared up.

i'd probably suggest an allergy specialist next ...

what were the results of being scoped by your ENT?
Max out on "Cold Eze" and drink LOTS of water. Use allergy medicine too. It helps post nasal drip and it worked for me.

Bob
Ruzzi: I share your pain. Have sr-throt, dripping, off/on voice
loss for over a yr. Know how to work the system w/Dr's. Did back
ofc for yrs. We have a problem I called `I Dunno'! I made it up!
I'm well knowledged w/ anatomy/nervous system. After 13 ENT's,
2 clinics, your tests + others & procedures, I dunno sounds like
a dx. Make sure U get copies of ALL tests/procedures. You are
allowed to have these for `Your Home Health File'. You'll be
amazed @ what they didn't share w/U, unless you're lucky. They
also have dictations (colleagues share opinions) & don't step on ea. others opinions. Sometimes U get 1 by error & read what
they suspect but didn't fol/up. U also can get hospital files
too. All info will form a pattern that tells U abt care. Don't
share `He said'. I've ruled out things after I reviewed myself.
Doses of antibiotics of many, didn't help. Throat culture, (they
scrape blisters on back/tonsils were questionable. No Doc agrees
w/ me, but they seem to lack neuro-info abt how things work. The
drainage comes from the maxillary sinus every 30 min. If backs-
up due to inflamm. or swelling, it gets old & infection/allergen
starts. Finally pops & burns throat. Stress causes nerves/glands
to tremor & over-drip. I use 1mg alprazolam 3x day & drainage
lessons. Cepacol spray temp-numbs. Zithromax is helping more to
heal than other anti's. Do U have any other symptoms like spine,
head-prssr, ear sounds/fullness, neck pain? Is your BP good?
BP can effect inflammation. @ 150/90, I was put on med+HCT & got
better. HCT is a diurectic that pulled excess fluid out of cells
& sinuses drained better. I had a side effect & stopped HCT.
Now I have no voice. It's our drainage that appears to be doing
cautering to tissue. Speak & U tremor the throat & get worse.
Mornings feel like vinegar on open wound until I get hot tea.
Hot `beef broth' from store opens voice for awhile too. Let us
know if any other symtoms we might compare. Hope I helped U get
more bang for your buck! I think it's viral & it's hard to dx.
It's frustrating to know U can't function, talk or scream from
the raw-feeling. What state in US R-U? Barometric prssr can also
cause a seasonal response like an allergy but they can't detect.

I too have a very similar problem.  A chronic, mild sore throat, that is mostly aggravated by talking, that has lasted for almost 3 years.  I have also been through a series of doctors including ENT and Infectious Diseases, but noone has been able to help.  I have had a tonsilectomy and have been treated for acid reflux, alergies, and yeast.  Nothing has solved the problem.
  I have been swiching and swallowing Nystatin for a few months and this seems to have lessened the pain, but has not made it completely go away.  I have been pain free for a few days at a time, but it does seem to return.
   It feels like a dry throat often centered around the area where my right tonsil used to be.  Sometimes it is more of an itchy pallate. Sometimes it feels like the glands on the right side of my throat are swollen.  I also notice symptoms that sound like post nasal drip quite often.
   The initial sore throat, 3 years ago, started out feeling like a normal sore throat from a cold, the only difference is that I had a swollen gland directly under my chin in the bottom of my jaw that I have never had before.
    I have had no other health issues, I am very active, and have noticed no decrease in performance.  If anything, in the past three years I have had fewer colds than normal and no serious sore throats.
I have had the some of the symptons everyone has discussed, but mine seem to be more of allergy symptons I think. My throat has the blood vessels, and I wake up with a hoarse throat everyday. I have been to 3 different ENT'S, and it seems like my next stop will be an allergist, again. I used to be on allergy shots, and it helped me, but then I had to quit taking them because my arm, where the shots were given, started to swell up like a balloon! There is one sad thing about this, I can't sing like I used to because my throat is constantly sore. I know what the people that have this problem is going through, because it seems like every chance you get, you try to feel better and you think it will help, but then it's the same again. I've also had my tonsils removed, and that didn't help! I just wish I knew what is making my throat so sore, it's even like this when I speak for more than like 30 minutes.
I I have suffered from indigestion and heartburn for quite a few years, nothing serious, but I have had Zoton now and agin from my doctor, they are excellent and completely stop the problems, about 6/8 months ago however I developed a hoarse throat, which wasnt really sore, I could eaat and drink with no problems, my doctor gave me some more zoton and I was sent for the camera down the nose trick, they said it was acid burn on the throat, I was told to carry on taking the Zoton, for two months, which I did, but it has got worse, I have no indigestion now but the the throat is not healing, in fact it is getting worse , it is now hoarse and sore, I have difficulty swallowing now and again, I went back to my Gp and she said carry on taking Zoton, and it could take a long time to heal?? It is a real nuisance and gets me down, it is a strain to talk, and I am worried about it developing in to something more serious. Anyone else had this problem, how long did it take to go, and what has helped you.
Benjo: Sounds like acid-reflux. Zoton is used for severe cases.
It's like U hick-up enzymes that you don't digest well or even
stress causes problem. If stomache/indigestion problems have
been in your history, Dr. might be correct. I use Cepacol spray
at night for a temp-fix at bed. Hot beef broth from a can helps.
Won't make U popular, but 1/2 a raw onion boiled in lg-cup twice
& then sip off/on is a old folk remedy. Juice has a healing
property & works for me + wards off colds/flu. There are some
chewing gums that numb also. Might check pharmacy. Sometimes
an allergy to a food or additive will trigger problem. Ask if U
have Oesophagitis. Sounds better than `why the raw throat?' You
may need to change your diet.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.