A
A
A
Close
Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community
23.4k Members

only 3 follicles on scan they may not let me have IVF..I feel so alone

Hi

I'm 38 in a couple of months.I have been ttc properly for 3 years and not preventing for 3 years before that. Today I attended the fertility clinic for the first time where I had blood tests and ultrasound to check for how many follicles there are on my ovaries. The nurse told me that I only have 3 in total and that based on that alone I wouldn't be able to have IVF as the drugs wouldn't work..I asked how many I should have to qualify for it and she said 7. She said that In 3 months I will receive an appointment to see the consultant who will determine if any treatment could go ahead based on results of all tests. I am so scared that they won't see any point in going ahead with treatment (NHS funded I cannot afford private).

I don't know anyone who has been in this position before so I have no-one that I can talk to about it. The nurse didn't explain anything and was very matter of fact about it all. I think they are just so used to doing it that they forget that this is peoples lives being affected.

I feel totally alone. I'm the only one in my family that has been in this position. My mum had 3 of us with no problems and my sisters have 6 children between them. Both my sisters and my mum had there first children at aged 16/17 and my sister had her last baby at 39. Of course they give support but unless you've been there you can't understand how it feels.

Part of me wishes I never went and carried on as I was. Being oblivious to the problem and the 'maybe next month' is actually easier than how I feel now.

Has anyone had such a low follicle count and still been funded by the NHS to have IVF and was it successful?

Thanks in advance.

0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Trying to Conceive Answerers
5875562 tn?1410898886
miami, FL
4769306 tn?1568490209
NC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Does exercise really lower fertility? We take a look at 8 common myths about fertility.
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.
Is your biological clock sounding the alarm? Dr. Elaine Brown explains new advances in egg freezing.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.