Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community

only 3 follicles on scan they may not let me have IVF..I feel so alone

I'm 38 in a couple of months.I have been ttc properly for 3 years and not preventing for 3 years before that. Today I attended the fertility clinic for the first time where I had blood tests and ultrasound to check for how many follicles there are on my ovaries. The nurse told me that I only have 3 in total and that based on that alone I wouldn't be able to have IVF as the drugs wouldn't work..I asked how many I should have to qualify for it and she said 7. She said that In 3 months I will receive an appointment to see the consultant who will determine if any treatment could go ahead based on results of all tests. I am so scared that they won't see any point in going ahead with treatment (NHS funded I cannot afford private).

I don't know anyone who has been in this position before so I have no-one that I can talk to about it. The nurse didn't explain anything and was very matter of fact about it all. I think they are just so used to doing it that they forget that this is peoples lives being affected.

I feel totally alone. I'm the only one in my family that has been in this position. My mum had 3 of us with no problems and my sisters have 6 children between them. Both my sisters and my mum had there first children at aged 16/17 and my sister had her last baby at 39. Of course they give support but unless you've been there you can't understand how it feels.

Part of me wishes I never went and carried on as I was. Being oblivious to the problem and the 'maybe next month' is actually easier than how I feel now.

Has anyone had such a low follicle count and still been funded by the NHS to have IVF and was it successful?

Thanks in advance.