Water pills

Am I allowed to take water pills while breast feeding ? My doctor is a month & two weeks .. I'm not sure if taking them will do anything to her or not
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Daughter *
Helpful - 0
I just read this post and wondered how you're doing? Water pills, like diurex, shouldn't be taken while breastfeeding. It contains magnesium salicylate, which affects the body's own salt levels and it's retention of water. Those first several weeks when you're breastfeeding every 2-3 hours  that extra "water" weight will melt right off, because your body is using that to help produce milk. Water consumption is imperative to breastfeeding, so why use an OTC drug to counteract it? Furthermore, just about every thing you ingest is transferred through breast milk to the baby, in smaller doses of course, but the magnesium salicylate may have similar effects on baby.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the First-Time Parents (with 0-6 Month-Old Baby) Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.