Fundoplication Reversal

Hi everyone, I'm trying to find out as much information as possible on having fundoplication surgery reversed.
I had this surgery not so long ago. Without going into too much detail a series of events and mistakes made by myself and others led me to believe that having this surgery would be a good idea. My reflux wasn't that bad at all really and the medication was working well.I had a small sliding Hiatal Hernia so I still had occasional reflux on the medication but it was more like a gas with no acids or liquids really and all of my other symptoms had gone despite not taking my diet and lifestyle changes that seriously.

Now I'm sure this surgery helps a lot of people with severe reflux that cannot be controlled well with medication and lifestyle changes but I have to say that in my case all of the complications or side effects associated with the procedure are 50 times worse and harder to live with that what the surgeon described to me himself after reviewing my 24 hr PH study as mild reflux.

I'm very keen to have this operation reversed and would love to here from anyone anywhere who has managed to have a full reversal. I would love to know if the bloating and abdominal pain has gone or improved. if you can burp freely whenever you need to ( something I totally underestimated the importance of in my case ), if your bowels have improved and if your reflux returned any worse than before having the operation.

Also I live in Australia, so if anyone down under has had this operation reversed or is looking into it please help me out with any information you may have.

I feel this operation is being marketed by some practitioners as a convenient thing to have done to avoid taking medication each day. Something I have learnt the hard way and wish someone had said to me is this operation is a big deal and the recovery time can be very long. Take your diet and lifestyle changes very seriously and only consider surgery if your reflux is bad and when you have tried every other option available with no success.    

Thank you,
Gastroboy.  

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there,

I have read your post and I understand where you are coming from, but I had a very successful Nissen Fundo done earlier this year and now I don't need to worry about my Barret's so much.  I'll go for surveillance endoscopies 1-2 years apart, but my symptoms have improved and I don't have to take 80mg Nexium a day since I've had the operation.

I had a lot of tests done and seen a lot of Specialists before I agreed to the operation and that definitely makes a big difference in the outcome.
Helpful - 0
As fundoplicationshurt reminds us, no surgery is without risk.  Cutting the Vagus nerve was one of my biggest worries and I certainly asked the surgeon prior to engaging him to do my Nissen Fundo work if he had any history about cutting the Vagus Nerve.  He had done over 100 procedures with no Vagus Nerve issues, and like Smiley, it was a hugely successful procedure.  That said, when I had another emergency surgery to repair a bowel blockage, that possibility was presented to me prior to the surgery.  When I had a pacemaker inserted I was alerted that the leads from the pacer into the heart sometimes creates goofy symptoms.  Prior to my heart bypass surgery, the Vagus Nerve issue came up as a possible complication.  
I feel it is a risk/reward situation when we agree to invasive surgeries.  In my case, the presence of a Barrett's Esophagus diagnosed trumped  the less that 100 to 1 chance of cutting the  Vagus nerve.  Studies show over 90% of patients  who have the NF procedure consider the procedure successful, but certainly, any time we agree to either holistic or invasive procedures, we make a choice and have to accept the consequences.

I agree with fundoplicationshurt completely, there is a risk... but developing an active cancer because of Barrett's pre-cancer tipped the balance for me to having the NF, and in my case it was a good choice.
Helpful - 0
I'm taking fundoplicationshurt VERY seriously. My GI doc has spoken to me about how to monitor barrett's and that there are procedures today to address it, if you get it. I don't have it but I do fear it.  I have a HH with GERD that is acting up in a way it previously did not. Sour taste in throat each night, and now this morning. Have been restricting diet and taking Rx meds, but so far, still having this problem.

When I was speaking once to a lovely lady active on a breast cancer forum, because I was scheduled for a breast MRI ( came up clean - hope it stays that way), she reminded me that forums tend to be full of the people who are worst case scenarios. The ones with good outcomes are out loving and living their lives.

That's nothing against anyone here, good enough to help others. However, I do notice that despite situations where people do better with these operations ( I personally know someone who had a Nissen because her HH came too far through her diaphragm - she was eating BBQ with my group! whereas I avoided it), we hear a lot of the worst here.

So glad that Flycaster305 was here to give us some good news, and the objective points about risk. Granted, it's easier to do so when you have the good outcome. And in stats, SOMEONE has to be the unfortunate one. Look at all of US! IT's not like everyone gets bad GERDs, so we're in a minority already.

Still, I have to say if I were in dire straits, at threat of bad Barretts, or plagued with esophageal ulcers or at risk of losing my voice, I'd have to consider it, do my due diligence, research the crap out of the options and cross my fingers.
I have suffered so much emotional stress from my first surgery and the doc trying to tell me I was ok. I dealt with it for almost a year before I made a 7 hour trip to Cleveland Clinic to see a Dr. Thomas Rice who in his words said my surgery was ONE WEIRD MESS!! He took it all down and put it back and said it was so messed up most surgeons would have just taken it out.  I was stuck on a feeding tube for 10 weeks , have been through 3 major stretch procedures and can finally get some foods down like oatmeal ,etc. However I lost 50 lbs and 35 inches, and still even when I get food down , it goes straight through. Nothing wrong with my colon so they think the first Doctor damaged my nerves during his messed up surgery and I may be stuck with that for life . I live off Ensure now to stay as well as I can but go back on Feb 4th for another evaluation from Dr. Rice to see if he can make it better or I live like I am as long as I can or stuck with a feeding tube for life. It stinks and the first doctor make it sound like a piece of cake. I can only say I wish I had went to Cleveland first, Dr. Rice told me this surgery should NEVER be done laposcopic!! It is way to major so how are these DR.s getting away with this??
Helpful - 0
I have suffered so much emotional stress from my first surgery July 2011  and the doc trying to tell me I was ok. I went back to him two weeks after the surgery and tried to tell him something was wrong.  I dealt with it for almost a year before I made a 7 hour trip to Cleveland Clinic and had it taken down and put back in July 2012.  The surgeon there in his own  words said my surgery was ONE WEIRD MESS!!  He  said it was so messed up most surgeons would have just taken it out.  I was stuck on a feeding tube for 10 weeks , have been through 3 major stretch procedures and can finally get some foods down like oatmeal ,etc. However I lost 50 lbs and 35 inches, and still even when I get food down , it goes straight through and I have no control of my bowels.  Nothing wrong with my colon so they think the first Doctor damaged my nerves during his messed up surgery and I may be stuck with that for life . I live off Ensure now to stay as well as I can but go back on Feb 4th for another evaluation from my Cleveland doctor to see if he can make it better or I live like I am as long as I can or stuck with a feeding tube for life. It stinks and the first doctor make it sound like a piece of cake. I can only say I wish I had went to Cleveland first, I was  told me this surgery should NEVER be done laposcopic!! It is way to major so how are these DR.s getting away with this??
Helpful - 0
Hello, my story is very similar yours.  I had frequent heartburn (4yrs) and was diagnosed with Gerd.  I took PPI's that worked well (when I took them) but it became worse and I had my Gastro Doc perform an Endoscope that revealed an 4-5 cm Hiatal hernia.  He also performed an upper GI that confirmed that it was an "Sliding Hiatal hernia".  He then performed an Esophageal manometry that revealed good esophageal pressures but the Sliding Hiatal hernia was causing a small sliding stomach like sack that was stuck in my chest cavity (when I laid down) that left my LES open that cause acid erosion.  Once we had all the info we decided to have the Hiatai hernia repaired (without the mesh) and I was told that a 360 degree fundoplication was needed to stop further possible Hiatal hernias and that it would fix all my Gerd symptoms.  I had the surgery In Jan 2013 and had the common side effects (no burping, no vomitting, IBS, gas and flatuation).  At six weeks post op  I started have extreme pain in the area of the fundoplication.  It felt like I was being stabbed with a knife.  I was doubled over and nothing would relieve my pain.  I went to the emergency room and the performed a drink swallow test that revealed nothing.  Then my Doc ordered a CT scan and I also requested an ultra sound of my liver and gallbladder area because the pain also radiated to my right side.  The results where my gallbladder was extremely diseased (gallstones, sludge, lesions and ready to pop).  He then performed emergency surgery to pull the gallbladder.  I had eight more attacks (in a two week period) after surgery and discover my body was rejecting the fundoplication.  I went to my surgeon and requested the removal (release) of the fundoplication and he performed the release surgery in march 2013.  I AM 100% BETTER!!!  It was the best thing that I ever did!!!  I am feeling great and I believe that the fundoplication surgery was not needed but the Hiatal hernia repair & gallbladder was my problem all along.  The fundoplication surgery is an out-dated procedure and should not be performed.  Our natural body anatomy is the way God intended it to be and in my case my body rejected it.  Trading one symptom (heartburn/Gerd) for six symptoms was worse!!!  Please do your research first and ask question!!!  Do not just take the word of your Doctor!!!  Doctors PRACTICE medicine!!!  The operative word here is PRACTICE!!!  God Bless!!! Good Luck!!! Get it reversed ASAP!!!
Helpful - 0
BeFit1 everything I read says that these FPs ARE the way to repair HHs. So when you say you are glad you had it reversed, and  you just needed the HH ( and gallbladder) fixed, what do you mean? What fixed the HH?

I'm sorry but if everyone just believed that our bodies were the way god intended and to let them be, no one would go to a doctor for ANYTHING and would die needlessly.
Hi, gastroboy
Can I ask where in Victoria did you get yor NF done. I am booked for my operation next friday 10.05.13  and i am in Victoria and I have got to say I did feel reasonably comfortable about the choice to have the op but reading these posts and info on the net I am now feeling very anxious.
I really hope it gets better for you.

I have been on meds for 4 years and often wake up choking from the reflux and acid in my throat - meds have had no impact. I also have a h/hernia that will be fixed during operation but given the trust I have placed in my doctor, maybe I need to discuss a partial fundo (I was not aware of such a thing) which worries me given the talking about lack of information provided by doctors.

Maybe I am just getting worried because its so close but maybe I need more info, I just cant keep choking on my own body acid either. Wht to do???
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem