I am writing to get advice on a problem which starts to hinder my life.
- For the past few months, I have some kind of reflux, especially in the evening. I feel my digestive content goes up, and also as if a lot of air is stuck around the oesophagus. I'm a bit relieved by much burping, often happening 3 or 4 hours after eating.
- It all started two years ago, when my throat was irritated for 6 months. We thought it was ENT-related but no, apparently it was reflux. I also had episodes of extrasystoles, and after examination, they would also be related to these oesophagus/stomach issues.
- Until now, i could live with it, but for 2 months now, the discomfort has further settled in, especially in the evening.
- My big concern, and what makes me post on this forum, is that those symptoms created a downward spiral. I focus on them, it makes me anxious (while i was feeling good psychologically speaking for decades). As soon as i encounter a stressful situation (taking plane, boat, being confined), i feel both the mind and this belly problem intertwine, and it accentuates the impression of weight in the chest/ belly, and cause mini panic attacks.
- I did blood tests, everything seems fine. I was prescribed proton pump inhibitors to "see if it works," but I'd rather know what i have before taking medicines with side effects. I'm raising my head when i sleep, walk, have reduced my meal's portions, do stretching/yoga pauses special for te belly. It helps, but not enough.
- My diet: a lot (too much?) of fiber like oats or wholemeal pasta, vegetables, lots of nuts (too much?), a dairy product per day, lots of fish, egg, very few meat, much olive oil and herbs, lots of dried fruits like dates/figs, carrot juice. No alcohol, no coffee, no tea, no tomato, almost no chocolate.
In short, this problem is starting to be a hindrance in my life, and i feel stuck as this downward spiral is making me afraid of any invasive examination like a gastroscopy.
Thank you for your advice (on the gastric problem itself, psychological aspects, exams i could do, diet changes, etc)