Abdominal upper right quadrant pain, just below ribs

I too have upper right quad pain just below my ribs. I am a male, 46yrs old 6ft and weigh 175 lbs. My pain comes and goes and has for about 6 months. It is not severe pain, but at times is more annoying than anything. It feels like there is something in there pinching me. I went to an internal med MD in July. He ran blood tests that all came back fine. He sent me to have an abdominal ultrasound which showed only "healthy" organs. No dilated bile duct, no gall stones, liver enzymes were in normal range. It is 4 months later and the pain is still happening. When I sit, or bend at the waist, I can feel the pain. It is not a deep, internal pain, but seems close to the surface, just to the right of that little cartlidge/bone that splits the rib cage...just to the right of the stomach. What the heck could it be? My MD put me on Nexium, thinking maybe it is peptic in nature, but 60 days of Nexium and still the pain persists. I am freaking out because my dad passed away this past March due to a rare appendix cancer (pseudomixoma peritonei) that several MD's could not find, nor diagnose properly once they found it, another story in itself...so you know how the paranoia sets in. I don't have a lot of faith in MD's right now. Anyone out there have any input? Can the liver be screwed up for this long and still avoid being detected? Can inflamation be detected by ultrasound? It feels like it's burning, not like heartburn, but a firey sensation...hard to describe. Someone, please help me settle my fly away brain...thanks.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
you describe some symptoms I've been having for weeks now - to a "T". {Pain and pressure under right ribs, pain is mild and intermittant.) I've had same responses from MD's as well. I don't have much faith in medical community either. I can also relate to many of the responses from others posted here. I recently traveled 6 hours, each way, to see a "highly reguarded" specialist at a medical university as referred to by my local MD, only to be told, after a 5 minute Q @ A session, that I did not have a broken rib. I had kind of guessed that. The only thing broken in that exam room was the doc's broken English. (He was from Germany) Anything you learn, I'd be interested to hear about. Thanks and good luck.
Helpful - 0
Hi, I'm a 22-year-old female so this may help women...2 months ago I started using Nuvaring (and IUD for of birth control), during that time I've had two UTIs and pain on my right side (under my ribs and lower back) and just recently found out that it's most likely due to my birth control.  I go to my family doctor tomorrow (I'm overly paranoid when I don't feel well) but I took the ring out 2 days ago, and already feel somewhat better.  I've researched it a lot on the internet the past few days and have found that many women have issues with their gallbladder and liver from being on the ring.  I'll report back after my appointment tomorrow, but my OBgyn seems to think this was the problem.
Helpful - 0
I am also suffering from this same pain. I have had an ovarian cyst removed and my gallbladder removed in the last 4 months - and I still have the pain (yes, both needed to come out!) The HIDA scan showed my gallbladder was not functioning properly (17) and the cyst was about the size of a grapefruit. So, after all that the pain is still with me.
I have noticed that Splenda causes the right upper quadrant pain to be more severe. (I had a carbonated water with Splenda in it and thought I would have to go to the hospital the pain was so bad.) Since I have cut out Splenda (about a month now) the pain is now tolerable. They still don't know what is going on though - the OB/GYN says it is intestinal related and the gas doc says it is female related. Both say they took care of the problems the tests and scans showed. I'm about ready to slap them both! I also have pain from my belly button on down (both sides). It is tender to the touch, but this also seems to be getting better since I cut out Splenda. I think I am going to go to a different doctor and see what they say. No one seems to really want to help me out. A friend of mine has Celiac and she mentioned that I may want to get tested for that. When I mentioned this to the gas doc he looked at me funny. Like, "I'm the doctor here, I should know" type of look. I don't think he is really listening to me and my symptoms.
But, it is comforting to know I am not alone in this! I hope we all find an answer soon!!
Helpful - 0
Yes, damn doctors. I'm so mad at the last 5 doctors I've been to, western medicine has some serious flaws. Anyway... My pain has been gone for the entire week, after eating that garlic the pain hasn't come back! I've been eating more normal too and it hasn't come back. I really think it was bacteria or parasites or something, hopefully it will go away forever.
Helpful - 0
Okay gang.  I'm a newbie - of sorts, and have been having the same symptoms you complain of; however, I may have some help.  I have had a complete hysterectomy, and also my gallbladder has been removed.  I seem to get the pain later in the day and not infrequently after I have had something to eat or drink.  I must also wonder if any of you also are obese???  All help totally apperciated.
Helpful - 0
I am a 50 years old male. Very similar symptoms: pressure, not exactly pain, on the upper right quadrant abdomen, accompanying with bloating, and sore throat. I am going to have a endoscopy tomorrow, to make sure it is not the problem with the colon. I will post the result here.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem