Abdominal upper right quadrant pain, just below ribs

I too have upper right quad pain just below my ribs. I am a male, 46yrs old 6ft and weigh 175 lbs. My pain comes and goes and has for about 6 months. It is not severe pain, but at times is more annoying than anything. It feels like there is something in there pinching me. I went to an internal med MD in July. He ran blood tests that all came back fine. He sent me to have an abdominal ultrasound which showed only "healthy" organs. No dilated bile duct, no gall stones, liver enzymes were in normal range. It is 4 months later and the pain is still happening. When I sit, or bend at the waist, I can feel the pain. It is not a deep, internal pain, but seems close to the surface, just to the right of that little cartlidge/bone that splits the rib cage...just to the right of the stomach. What the heck could it be? My MD put me on Nexium, thinking maybe it is peptic in nature, but 60 days of Nexium and still the pain persists. I am freaking out because my dad passed away this past March due to a rare appendix cancer (pseudomixoma peritonei) that several MD's could not find, nor diagnose properly once they found it, another story in itself...so you know how the paranoia sets in. I don't have a lot of faith in MD's right now. Anyone out there have any input? Can the liver be screwed up for this long and still avoid being detected? Can inflamation be detected by ultrasound? It feels like it's burning, not like heartburn, but a firey sensation...hard to describe. Someone, please help me settle my fly away brain...thanks.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Everyone,

I just recently started experiencing similar right upper quadrant (RUQ) abdominal pain and came across your thread in my search for information on the Internet.  I did find an interesting and seemingly credible site that recommends various clinical and diagnostic parameters for the diagnosis of the etiology of RUQ abdominal pain: http://www.asge.org/nspages/practice/patientcare/97-right.cfm#sectionH

Basically, the recommended progression of testing should include the following:

1. History and physical
2. Laboratory evaluation
3. Ultrasound of right upper quadrant
4. Hepatobiliary scintigraphy
5. Esophagogastroduodenoscopy
6. CT scan
7. ERCP with sphincter of Oddi manometry
8. Trial of therapy for irritable bowel syndrome/functional abdominal pain

I hope this helps.  Good luck to all.  I will check back in soon, especially if I can offer any more potentially useful information.
Helpful - 0
Just got back from the endoscopic test. Everything is perfectly normal in colon. Next check will be the CT scan.
Helpful - 0
I just can't understand with all these people having the same trouble and not one doctor knows anything.  I too am having the same exact same pressure under my rib on my left side also.  My pain has only been going on for about 2 weeks.  I sure wish some one could find some answers to help some of us that don't know what to do or where to start.  Its discouraging to go to doctors and spend all that money and find out no more than before we went.  Please help someone!!!
Helpful - 0
I have had the same thing for the last five years off and on.  Every test done AT FIRST...my doctors were baffled, but my Chiropractor picked up on it during a routine visit when I complained about it while having an adjustment.  He did an adjustment that put everything right back to "normal" in a couple of visits.  My GP was thrilled to hear this.  And took note of it. It's happening again now, and am making an appointment Monday to get it "fixed".  With me, it has to do with the bottom ribs on the right "poking" where they shouldn't.  I have notice the flare ups happening more and more because I use a laptop and twist my torso to type...throwing everything out of whack.  Hope this might help some.
Helpful - 0
Ok, so if the pain is on both sides or radiates to the back, it's probable that it's gallbladder disease or obstruction. If it's consistently on the right under the bottom ribs, it's likely stagnant bile, liver flukes or other parasites, or small duodenal ulcer (assuming all tests are "normal"). I think that my pain was probably caused by a small duodenal ulcer. They only went halfway into my duodenum during the endoscopy and they are also hard to detect. After eating 3 whole organic cloves of garlic chopped into pill sized bites, the pain was gone the next day and hasn't come back. (3 weeks ago). Garlic is a potent antibiotic. I also started a parasite cleanse the day after taking the garlic, and had been taking omega 3, vitamin c ascorbates and selenium supplements for a month prior. I also drank a few gallons of organic apple juice over about a month, and organic yogurt and kefir which promotes good bacteria. I also tried a chinese herbal tincture called gold coin grass, to break up any stones that could be in my gallbladder. I think that my problem was excess acid mixed with bad bacteria that caused an ulcer that caused the pain. The excess acid was because of my gastritis, and the gastritis I think was caused by a hyperactive thyroid. I have a really fast metabolism and a sore throat that's lasted the past 8 months. My gastritis and my throat are still bothering me, so I'm going to start taking siberian pine nut oil for the gastritis and any ulcers, and lots of broccoli to calm the thyroid. And I'll minimize iodized salt intake, it will cause you to have a hyperactive thyroid!

Also, anyone with this pain should go on a diet. No processed meats, red meat, pork, fried foods, cheese or mushrooms. Chicken breast and salmon are very good and organic yogurt because the enzymes are really good. No cold drinks and avoid beer. When it's hurting put a hot compress on the area, it might help, it helped me. Also try to minimize stress.

I'm now taking omega 3, 6 and 9, vitamin c ascorbates with msm, selenium, mastic gum to protect and heal the gi tract, and aloe vera to help with digestion and acid control. I will soon be taking siberian pine nut oil also. The great thing is that these aren't drugs, they are natural vitamins, nutrients and enzymes that the body utilizes to function properly.
Helpful - 0
Wow. Same symptoms here. Started 6 months ago. Before that, I always had lower right "gas" pains, constipation, loose stools, extremely large stools followed by small narrow stools, and general bloating and discomfort. 6 months ago I discovered high protein bread (lots of gluten). After a few sandwiches, the upper right pain started, along with all the rest above and new stuff like foul smelling, greasy and green stools. I cut out gluten, but the pain under the right lower ribs remains, alternating from a dull ache to a sharp pain, and a feeling that my entire ascending colon is spazing out. I told my doctor about it last week at my annual physical, he refered me to a specialist for a colonoscopy. I am 43, with an aunt and grandparent who had colon cancer, but parents are still clean. Not sure what to do, but I will know more after the consultation on 1/31.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem