Gastroenterology Community

Bile Reflux, GERD, Diverticulitis, Hiatal Hernia

I have a Hiatal Hernia, Bile Reflux, GERD and Diverticulitis.  My Gallbladder was removed in 2007 but within the past two years I have had repeated nausea with violent vomiting that hits all of a sudden out of the blue.  My stomach will balloon out as if I am 9 months PLUS pregnant, once I vomit the stomach goes down but then I have phelgm in the throat, hoarsness coughing.  I am confused as to whether this is a Bile attack, GERD or Hiatal Hernia.  I had H Pylori in the first EGD and took the medication but no mention of that in the second EGD.  The Diverterticulitis was not diagnosed until the second colonoscopy two years ago as well.   I have also had a diverticulitis attack.  The pain and nausea seems to originate in the area of the hernia just below the sternum.  My last EGD and colonoscopy revieled the above diagnosis and it seems no one knows how to help me and I am weary.  Last attack Pancreatic enzymes were good.  Can the bile get into the jaw, ears or sinus because after one attack I developed a terrible infection? And what treatment should I be following given all these issues in combination? And would having the Hiatal Hernia surgery cause too many problems having the Bile Reflux? Where would the Bile go then if I could not vomit it up?
Hi, its unlikely that the bile reflux is causing all your symptoms. And bile will not travel up and cause your symptoms of jaw or ear pain or sinusitis. If you cannot vomit the bile, it will pass down the intestines and will be excreted in the stools. The bile can irritate the intestines, but it usually responds well to resins that bind these bile salts (cholestyramine) so they can't irritate the intestine. Most commonly the intestine adapts such that these agents can be weaned off over several weeks. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance. Regards.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem