Gastroenterology Community

Gastric Bypass Surgery and Muscle Spasms

I am almost 15 years post bypass surgery.  I have been experiencing muscle spasms for the past two years.  They  are in my lower extremities (feet, toes, calves, thighs), arms (forearms) & hands (including fingers or whole hands), but never upper extremities or torso.  The spasms can last for several minutes & can occur in more than one place.  They are usually triggered by vigorous exercise such as dancing, but also occur in the absence of such activities & do not occur while I am active, only after I finish.  

These spasms are debilitating and excruciatingly painful.  Yesterday they were so severe that I had to call 911 and was taken the emergency room in an ambulance!

My doctor has prescribed Gabapentin, but I have to take up to 5 capsules for any relief and it is usually only after 2 hours of suffering.  I take B12, iron, and magnesium daily and all of my lab work is normal. I have Type 1 autoimmune diabetes and take insulin and I also have thyroid disease and take synthroid.

I would appreciate any directions you can suggest; my internist is pretty much out of ideas and the pain is unbearable.

Thank you.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem