i am physically unable to burp.

All my life i have been unable to burp. I have these awful embarrassing involuntary gurgles that are sometimes loud and others not as loud. As long as i could remember, i have felt bloated after i eat too much or drink anything. Many people have tried to teach me how to burp but i simply cant. Almost everytime i yawn though, i always seem to let out a tiny burp or maybe a gurgle and i feel a little relief. i have noticed i yawn a lot more than other people, maybe this is a way my body tries to get out the access air. I hardly throw up or get sick. I have thrown up maybe seven or eight times in my life and i am 17 now. I do remember everytime i throw up i belch really loud before doing so. It sounds horrific and i have never heard anyone burp the way i do when i am sick. No one believes i cant burp, even the people who have heard my gurgles. My mothier thinks i am weird and refuses to take me to any kind of docter because she thinks i am making this up. i am afraid that if i dont get help soon i might just blow up. Recently, i was curious if i was the only one with this problem so i did some research online. I have come to find that many people have experienced what i have but i have heard nothing about a cure or a name for this problem. If someone has an answer or the same or similar problem, please let me know (:

thank you so much,
paige.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I will be checking this forum daily now.
Anyone who has not seen my previous posts should send me a message. I am, as far as I know, one of the first people to get cured from dysfunction of the belch reflex.

Robert W. Bastian, located in Downer's Grove Illinois is the only doctor to my knowledge and honestly the only doctor I trust to do Botox injections on the upper esophageal sphincter.  I have been cured for 9 months now from one  procedure.

I am happy to talk to anyone with any questions related to the inability to burp.
Helpful - 3
Well, then, here's a big twist to the belching prblm maybe ur doc wud know the answer to. I also NEVER burp. I get the gurgling noises and heartburn, and have to stick a tongue depressor down my throat to burp when that happens. BUT, I also have Symphonic Disphonia, aka shaky voice, like Kathryn Hepburn had in On Golden Pond. U can Google it - Spazmodic or Symphonic Disphonia. I bring this up only bcuz I get botox injections every few months in the muscles in either side of my vocal cords to "smooth"out my voice. Now, I am wondering if I shud talk to the doc about also getting the shots where u got them to help u. I have told many docs about this prblm but they don't really see it as a serious conditon, but it is painful. What can I do? Oh, and just an FYI, the botox injections I rcv for my throat do nothing to alleviate the discomfort of not burping.
If you feel air getting trapped at the point between your Adams Apple and the bottom of your neck then the problem is the upper esophageal sphincter. Your vocal cords are in no way related the the UES. You would need a separate injection in the cricopharyngeal muscle.
I can't burp at all. It's starting to get harder for me to drink any thing because I can't burp and it's so irratating and I'm not sure if Drs can help
Hi there :) I am from the UK. I am very interested in gaining more knowledge about this devastating problem. I have never been able to burp for as long as I can remember, and over the past 6 months it has become unbearable. I'm wondering if you could answer a few questions.

How much did the procedure cost?
Did you have to have any diagnostic tests beforehand?
Did you have to have any follow up appointments?
Was the procedure done awake or under anesthesia?
Does the Dr deal with patients from the UK?
Has there been any side effects?

Thanks in advance, I feel I could be on my way to getting back the quality of my life! :)
Procedure is going to range 3-4k USD.
If you search my previous posts on here you will see all the other tests I have taken and research I've personally done on this problem.
Procedure is done at Good Samaritan hospital in Downer's Grove Illinois. You will be under anesthesia, completely asleep during the process.
I'm sure Dr Bastian is willing to take patients outside of the US, that is something you will have to contact him about.
The only side effect is slight difficulty to swallow. This is due to the fact the your esophagus is connected to the cricopharyngeal muscle.
This only lasted about a month for me. It's fine as long as you take small bites to eat.
I can't burp this is recent maybe the last couple of months. I eat And have a fullness I have a slow colon and I don't use the bathroom to make a bowel movement it is very irregular. I am considering a colonic but also I was diagnosed with GERD but I haven't taken those meds in a year and I need assistance. I don't know what to do the doctor's isn't helping me? Do I need to see a gastroenterologist?
Hi! I currently live in OH, but from NW Indiana. I would love to speak to your Dr about my condition. I seem to have these gurgles after eating and drinking but even more so when Im sick with a cold and have a runny nose. Im currently pregnant and I feel its even worse. I would be willing to try anything. I am 36 years old and have been dealing with this my entire life. I am miserable during these episodes. Please give me any contact into you have! Thanks!
Darryl,
My son had the procedure this morning. Went very well. He feels Ike there is a lump in his throats when eating, but he has eaten everything! He's not having any guy pain, but the burps haven't begun as of yet. Can't wait! Thank you so much for posting, because without it I would have had no idea that there was a cure to this really irritating problem.
Mary Anne
It's so crazy I stumbled across this website, all of these people are JUST LIKE ME! I'm 27 and I've been bloated/gassy/uncomfortable/unable to burp (which just makes me sad), and I've always had a theory that my being bloated was related to my not burping. What caught my eye in your post was the gas pains going up to your shoulder because I get that sometimes too, and even in my lower back. None of the others had mentioned that. Did you get any good advice from doctors? Also, did you hiccup a lot when you were a child?
Helpful - 3
Its honestly so cool to find other people that have the same problem.. it's honestly like a community. Not being able to burp should be researched. I wish I knew or had some kind of name for all of it. All I can tell people is I can't burp, I gurgle. No I don't fart more just because I can't burp. I know the air has to go somewhere. What do you mean does it hurt? Yes it hurts. I never have been able to. And when I was an infant, my mom said when she tried to burp me I'd just puke instead. I'd never ever burp. Every few months or so (usually longer) I burp. It's small and very short, but it's there. I just never know what induced it, or how I even did it. I look it up about semiannually just to see if there are any new developments on the issue. There never is. Quick question though, does anyone else's feel like they have a lot of acid reflux because of it? Maybe one day, everyone can burp.
Helpful - 2
Hi everyone, I've posted on this forum a few times, and I've been waiting to discuss my results with treatment so I would know if I've been "fixed" or not, but I can now say that Botox injections are definitely the way to go with this.  I am the second person after DJM05 to go to Dr. Bastian and receive Botox injections into my cricopharyngeus muscle.  I had the injections done about 1.5 months ago, and it has changed my life significantly.  Dr. Bastian gave me 6 injections, because while he was doing the endoscopy, he saw that my esophageal muscles just below my UES were very stretched out from basically an entire lifetime of having air trapped right there, so he gave me two extra injections.  I would say that my problem is 90% resolved.  No more awful gurgling, no more esophageal/stomach pain, no more never-ending gas.  I am waiting until the 3-4 month mark to see if it will wear off enough that I might have to get more treatment, but for now, things are SO much better.  I had a lot of the same symptoms and history that other people on here have (emetophobia, acid reflux, hiatal hernia, etc) so I'm guessing it could all definitely be related somehow, but Dr. Bastian really seems to be the only doctor out there who understands this condition and will treat it.  My advice for anyone who is sick and tired of living with this: I suggest you contact Dr. Bastian's office to discuss making an appt!
Helpful - 2
I had this problem for years, would always feel sick after eating or drinking and had to sit and gurgle to let it pass. Not anymore! Sounds disgusting but I worked out if I gag a little bit (I am never sick) only the super loud burp comes out that a few people they have described having before being sick (not a real burp) this causes instant relief! My close friends and boyfriend know and are always shocked when I have to do it infront of them, and grossed out lol, could never do it in public! I would say I have to do this 3-7 times a day depending on how much I'm eating or drinking but it has become part of my life and I would rather gag-burp than sit around feeling sick every time I eat!! Hope this helps :)
Helpful - 2
I am the same way. I have little growling noises instead of burping. Its almost like it doesnt want to or cant come all the way up. Like it gets stuck in my esophagus.if I am lucky I might actually really burp 3 or 4 times a year. But when I through up I make all kinds of wired loud burping sounds.I am 27 now and its never changed. If thats not odd enough I cant snap either. It *****!
Helpful - 1
My son can't burp either and as an infant he suffered from constant constipation. His stools were little round rocks, usually a turquoise green with little spots of blood. He outgrew that, but he still has constipation issues.When he was a small child, he would hold his chest and say his heart hurt. He is now well into drinking age and struggles with beer. He is managing his condition but I can't understand why Doctors see to believe we just are missing the moments when they burp. I would like to know from anyone who comes back and follows up on this if they have also experienced other bowel type issues or other issues, that are quite possibly associated to this condition.
Helpful - 1
I have the exact same issue, I am 18 years old and cannot burp, I suffer from constipation every day, and basically pass stool about every 2/3 days, I get unbelievabl bloated each time I eat and drink - especially something fizzy, I can’t drink beer or fizzy drinks with spirits anymore due to the discomfort so I now just drink vodka and cranberry instead, I can’t handle the awful discomfort and constant bloated. It also really effects my self esteem as I can’t wear low jeans, high tops or any tight dresses if I’ve eaten before hand, if I go out clubbing I don’t eat before so that I can wear normal clothes without looking bloated, which obviously isn’t good before drinking alcohol - I need a solution!!
So I have the exact issue from the original post on this thread. I have IBS and when it hits its really bad. I'm going to get a referal to see a specialist soon. I am always bloated and having constipation or opposite. Its ridiculous.
Thank you for making me realise that I am not the only one with this. I also have never been able to burp, get the "gurgles", and suffer from emetophobia and acid reflux. I had an endoscopy, and apparently my acid reflux is cause by my LES being loose. After reading your comments, I'm convinced that everything I've mentioned is related somehow, it's just frustrating to not know how.
Helpful - 1
My story is identical to yours, thank you, now I am certain that everything I am experiencing is linked somehow. I, too, get the gurgles, have never been able to burp, I've had severe emerophobia ever since I was a child, and suffer from acid reflux due to a loose LES diagnosed in an endoscopy. My hypothesis is that the LES and the UES are somehow interconnected. Also, I believe that the emetophobia might be caused by the fact that we vomit differently from others due to the UES and LES issues, which has traumatized us at some point. I'll just add that I'm not the typical acid reflux patient; I am only 18 years old and also very skinny. I am seeing a gastroenterologist in two weeks from now and hope to discuss the connections between these symptoms with him.
It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.  I too have these strange gurgles.  I'm currently 14 years old and I really want to get rid of this problem.  My parents don't know and I'm planning on telling them soon but there just gonna thing I'm crazy, any suggestions?
Helpful - 1
I hope everyone will read this who has this problem.

I have had dysfunction of the belch reflex for 18 years and am now cured and 100% in control of burping.

This dysfunction is a neurological problem, which means that no physical test will prove that this exists. I have tried all possible tests that yield no results.
Barium swallow, esophageal manometry, endoscopy, Thyroid ultrasound, gastric emptying scan.  These are all the tests I have done which got me nowhere, do not waste your money on these.  

I had been to 10 different doctors ranging from ear nose and throat doctors, gastrologists, and speech pathologist's. None of them willing to understand the seriousness of this problem.

2.5 years of research lead me to find Dr. Bastian. The only doctor in the united states willing to take this problem seriously. I told him all my symptoms and we determined that a non relaxing upper esophageal sphincter is the cause and using Botox injections on the muscle would temporarily paralyze the muscle enough to vent excess air.  

Botox is temporary, lasting 3-4 months. I have not had to go back for another injection since my first one which was over 6 months ago now. I believe that my body has relearned how to relax the upper esophageal sphincter own it's own.

Doctor Bastian iseveryones best bet in getting this dysfunction fixed. Feel free to ask me anything about this.
Helpful - 1
Where is this doctor located ?
Hi where is this doctor located I have the same problem, it never occurred to me that I couldn't burp until about 1 year ago and I am 16, I am able to let out very tiny burps if I get to bloated, but not enough to give me relief
I had my procedure done by dr. Bastian in Illinois. The procedure was done at Good Samaritan Hospital which is in Downers Grove
You can search Bastian voice Institute to or just go to his website at Bastian voice.com
DJM05! Do you know if more doctors other than Dr. Bastian have started performing this procedure? Also - was this covered by insurance?
I have the same problem never been able to burp.. I;ve had family members try to teach me,, people I tell dont believe me either. I had colic when I was a baby my mam believes thats got something to do with it,, I get the same type or gurgles mostly at night when Im lying down. 26 now and never thought of doing any research and now I noticed it not just me
Helpful - 1
I had colic too!
Everyone with this problem needs to see Dr. Robert W. Bastian. If you can feel air stopping at the mid to lower part of your neck then you have a non relaxing upper esophageal sphincter. No endoscopy, manometry or any other test will show that this problem is real because it is neurological, not physical. Unfortunately there is no research in this but I feel like I may be the only person so far who has had this problem cured. I had 4 Botox injections done on my upper esophageal sphincter to paralyize the muscle and force it to relax which allows me to vent all the excess air. I have full control over belching now, even to were I can purposely swallow air and belch it back up on command. I will be more than happy to show proof and answer any questions.
Helpful - 1
I am very excited about possible solution. How are you now ?
Can you tell me more about the botox injections ? It will working forever or it needs to be done again and again ?
9 months in now since the injections and perfectly in control. If your body does not relearn within how to burp on its own by the time the Botox wears off then you will need to go back for another treatment. The only other possible 100% fix would be to get an esophageal myotomy.
I can't believe that I'm 37 and just now decided to look it up because people always make me feel crazy like i'm not doing the burp thing right. How hard could it be to suck down some air and burp like everyone else right?! Well now I feel better knowing that there are more people like me and i'm not crazy! You are the only one I saw who had the chest pain like me.  I have to pat my chest or jump up and down for it to come up. And it always feels like a heart attack.  Thank you so much for posting your story i'm going to print the article and take it with me to my next doctor's appointment. Hopefully she won't think i'm crazy too!
Helpful - 1
also its called dysfunction of the belch reflex
Helpful - 1
It's really unbelievable how many people suffer from the inability to belch, and the how many people who don't believe us. Like one person said, who would fake not being able to belch??  I am 35 and have maybe burped accidentally 4 times in my life. I really can't pinpoint what makes me bloated, gassy, gurgle sounds coming up from my esophagas and out my mouth, or the feeling like I'm going to float away because I have so much air inside me. It happens often, especially at work. I have to make a trip to the third floor bathroom (least traveled) and make myself burp by sticking my finger down my throat. I don't throw up, but I guess I do burp in a sense, and get some relief. I mentioned this to a pcp several years ago, who basically blew me off, which seems to be quite common.  I never brought it up again to any doctor. The reason I was researching this tonight is because my gyne referred me to a gastroenterologist for some unrelated issues.  I had a consult yesterday, and he asked me if I had heartburn or indigestion often, sometimes, or never. I told him often and he asked me to explain it, so I basically told him what I wrote as my above symptoms. I did not mention that for release, I stick my finger down my throat, and didn't say that I never burp. While I don't think the symptoms I explained to him was the only reason he scheduled me for an upper endoscopy, I do think it is partly why. I was actually referred due to constipation and dramatic weight loss (20 lbs in 3 months which was not intentional) and was expecting just a colonoscopy. But, he wants both and I am scheduled for Wed. March 26. Colon prep is the 25th where I have to drink a gallon of this Gavalyte G solution and no solid food until after the procedures.  It's going to be hell drinking this stuff because it says it will likely make you bloated, full, and obviously gassy. I'm not looking forward to it, but maybe I'll get some answers. I may even bring up the fact I don't burp and what my only relief method is the day I go in.  It's definitely embarrasing having that gurgling sound come out of nowhere. I am so glad to have found others that deal with this as well.
Helpful - 1
I am so glad to find out I'm not alone. I'm a very gassy person, but have never been able to burp. After drinking anything (including water) without food, or if I drink a lot of a beverage, I get what I call the "gurgle burps". It seems like air gurgling up from my stomach, but I can't really burp. It's pretty embarrassing, it continues until I feel nauseous, then I'm able to go into the bathroom and basically force myself to vomit air. It sounds like I'm throwing up, but all that comes out is air, which does sound like a loud belch. I've had this problem for 20 years. I finally saw a GI doctor, who put me on Prilosec, which isn't helping. My next option is to go in for the scope exam. Has anybody found anything that helps get rid of the trapped air?  Over the counter gas medicine doesn't work either
Helpful - 1
Yes! Exactly this!
Exactly the same here also. 43 years of this and it is so tiring, and painful.
Sitting here with pain at the top of my throat / chest and gurgles going on.
OMG SAME! Ive been dry heaving and gurgle-burping for years!
Same here all the same results especially with bubbly things like soda.
Helpful - 0
I am 25 years old and have had all the same problems with not being able to burp my whole life and having stomach problems because of it.  I have actually learned to burp.  It's strange and amazing.  I suspect there to be something physically similar that all of us have in common that kept it from being a natural reaction, but at least with me... over the last 4 months or so, I've gotten to the point where I can actually burp when I need to most of the time.  I still can't belch on command or burp the ABCs, but when I feel the need to burp, I can do certain things with my chest, shoulders, neck, jaw, and throat to make a burp happen (sounds more complicated than it actually is once I got the hang of it).  Sometimes they're small and sometimes they are big.  It did not completely fix my stomache problems, but it is better and i can now better understand which foods upset my stomach, and I can explain it in no other way than to say that it is absolutely glorious.  I'm interested to see if I can help anyone else learn how to do this.  Feel free to email me at ***@**** if you would like more information and assistance learning to burp.  I hope your search turns out as well as mine did.

Alright, well I know that it may not be the same thing for everyone, but this is what I've found.

The biggest thing for me to learn was torso, shoulder, neck, head, and jaw placement to allow a burp through.  I have to be at least sitting up straight or leaning forward slightly is even better.  Can't do it while sitting back.  I have to push my shoulders straight back, the further the better.  And then I have to push my head forward and then chin down.  At first it helped me to turn my head left to right while my chin was down and head out.  It also helps open my throat if I open my mouth slightly and push my jaw forward, like giving myself an under bite.  Regarding throat muscles and relaxation, I've found that the only thing that I was familiar with that is similar to "opening my throat" would be a yawn.  So if I position myself in the way specified above, and then make myself yawn, the first part of the yawn (before it takes over and you feel like you have to yawn) is when I will burp.

It took me probably 3 months to realize that full list of motions after I started getting a little bit of control.  As odd as it all sounds if I have even one of those incorrect, I usually can't burp, or the burp is miserably small and useless.

This only works for me when I need to burp.  I can't burp on command, but if I've just drank half of a Mountain Dew and feel like I need to burp, I simply make sure to be sitting/standing up or leaning forward slightly, push my shoulders back, touch my chin to my chest, and then right when I feel like it should be hitting my throat, I push my head forward (while still keeping my chin down), open my mouth slightly and push my jaw out and start the yawn feeling in my throat.  Once I got the hang of it, I learned that by having breathed some air into my diaphragm, I could push out a larger burp by using that air in my diaphragm to push on the burp.  I didn't learn that until I got the hang of smaller burps.

I don't know if this is common with others or not, but I've got a bit of an overbite and some sinus problems.  For as long as I can remember I've gotten phlegm stuck in my throat and have to spit it out... and the more stuff in my throat, the less likely I am to be able to burp as well.

Hope this is something that can be helpful.  I'd like to know if it is.  Keep me posted.

Bob
Helpful - 0
I've always had this as well.  My mom said that I burped when I was a baby, but as long as I, myself, can remember, I've always had those noises in my throat.  When I was a little girl I used to tell people I swallowed a frog! haha

I've never tried much to help this or help myself relieve the pressure in my stomach.  Lately I've been taking antacids and bloating relief pills to make it stop and it's only made my nauseousness go away after I eat (which is a plus, of course).  I also feel veeery sick in the mornings, all the time and can't catch my breath sometimes.

ttbee - you said that you wanted to know about the swallowing drinks in one gulp.. How people can just open their throats and take a glass without having to take breath..  I've ALWAYS wondered that.  I'm 19 and NOT, in any way shape or form, an alcohol drinker.  And it's because I can't.  I can't take more than a tiny sip before my throat decides that it doesn't want anymore so if I try to take another sip, my throat just won't open up for it.  It like... scares my reflexes.  I can't even chug WATER..  I can take more of that than anything else - pop, juice etc..  I was not born premature though, so I don't think it has to do with your prematurity.

Also, I just recently became lactose intolerant.  I was very upset when I figured it out finally, and became aware of what acid reflux is and that isn't pleasant either..  

Like every has stated, I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I've been made fun of my whole life because of this throat gurgling noise and nobody ever believes me when I say that I am just unable to burp.  Period.  Friends and family have tried to teach me, but no one prevails.  

Helpful - 0
I'm on the same boat as all of you! I just got home from drinking and man....  One beer gets me so nauseous for the entire night, I get full... bloated... and extremely uncomfortable. It's lead me away from alcohol completely, though, I enjoy going out.

I've had plenty of friends go "I bet you $5 I can make you burp" I ALWAYS walk away as the winner. One time my best friend heard me release air because I was on the verge of throwing up (which I've noticed 100% of the time that I never throw up) and he heard it through 3 walls while outside talking to friends - he claimed it to be the loudest belch he's ever heard in his life.

I haven't found a cure or a fix except building pressure up to the verge of throwing up so that air can get released, which is extremely uncomfortable.

I knew I wasn't alone though, many times at parties I've overheard people go "No thanks, I'm full and can't burp to save my life" -- I always walk over and give them a big ole' high five for being apart of the No Burping Club.

I saw your comments above about the finger-down-the-throat method - I will give that a try because I need some way of relieving the pressure... This uncomfortable feeling keeps me on my butt and extremely anxious when I'm out and wanting to talk to the girlies. All I get is the gurgles every 1-2 minutes and I hate it.

Though, Doc says I'll probably never feel acid reflux - 24 years old and he's been right so far!! I can eat ANYTHING (as long as I chow down super fast before I can feel it)
Helpful - 0
i had one of the worst beer and burp-less nights ever on saturday.  ended up sticking my fingers down my throat for a while after enduring the pain and eventually getting severe shivers from it and it was all better (although the accompanying hiccups don't half make your chest sore for a while).

I also managed to do a tremendous air-vom in front of some people I'd just met.  reassuringly for us all they carried on talking to me (probably in relief that nothing else accompanied it!)

so I shall have to make sure I don't drink more than 2 pints of fizz at a time. if you still crave beer I recommed english ales (flat) or belgian beers (stronger, less volume).

i, too was a cholicy baby.  my mum can't burp or handle fizzy drinks, and she's not too great with lactose either.  future's bright!  i also gurgle like a trooper.  i'm not sure whether past girlfriends found it endearing or thought I was weird.  i shall be using the "frog in the stomach" line from now on.....

good to know there are others out there like me! :)
Helpful - 0
I have the same problem.  I was able to burp as a baby, but haven't been able to do so since then.  I will burp from time to time, completely by accident, but I have no control over it.  In the meantime, it's all gurgling, etc.  

I have a deviated septum, and went into an ENT specialist to take a look at it.  He said that I have too much extra skin in the back of my throat, which could lead me to snore etc., later in life.  I'm throwing this out there to see if anyone might have the same situation and whether it might be causing an inability to burp.  Just a thought.
Helpful - 0
i can't believe there are so many of us out there!!!!  i'm 28 now and for as long as i can remember i've "growled" as my family calls it.  one time when i was a kid, my sister tried to teach me to burp and all it did was make me vomit later that night!  i don't get nauseaus or have stomach pain after eating, but i do however make horrendous noises if/when i throw up, which is rare.  i haven't seen it posted anywhere else, but i also have gas pretty much all the time.  both are embarrassing and uncomfortable!!!!  i'm so relieved to know that i'm not the only one.  
Helpful - 0
     I feel exactly the same things since i was 13. Now i'm 20, and learning the "technique" of sticking a finger into my through just to have this surreal burp.
I feel very nauseous and when i lay down, on an horizontal position, i feel better.
     The internal burps happens a lot. My boyfriend used to ask me if i was hungry when we were hugging and he feels, but now he is used, i think. Yes, it looks like a frog.
     I also have Gastroesophageal Reflux, and hurts on stomach and esophage.
     Can somebody help?
     When i go out and have one drink im already feeling sick. And when a i through up, people ask "already?" as if i was drunk, but i'm far away from drunk, i'm just filled with gases.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem