Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Abdominal wall problem.

I have been diagnosed as having a divarication of the rectus sheath. Please could someone explain what this is/
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for your reply. What sort of surgery can cure it?
Helpful - 0
4775557 tn?1359034681
I am so sorry to listen this health issue but there is nothing to worry about it may be cure by simple surgery and nothing big. This is a general issue for men. I am giving some explanation here which I found from different source which may be helpful for you.

The rectus abdominis muscles should meet in the midline at the linea alba. Superior to the umbilicus, some people have a congenital defect that results in a wider gap between them. As a result, when a patient flexes the abdominal muscles as when doing a sit-up, the rectus muscles spread apart (divaricate). The divarication is made more obvious when the patient lifts their head or legs off the bed when supine.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the General Surgery Community

Top General Health Answerers
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
80052 tn?1550343332
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.