Blood work before surgery?

My husband is 50 years old and has not had a check-up in three or four years.  He now requires surgery for a hernia and the surgeon's office just told me that no pre-operative blood work is necessary.  That doesn't seem right to me.  Is a general blood work-up a good idea before this kind of surgery?  If this doctor doesn't order one, should we find a different surgeon?
Dear Catnip
Routine blood and basic investigations is a general protocol before any surgery no matter how big or small that surgery is. Hernia is a very safe and minor procedure and your surgeon is the best judge to decide about the investigations. I dont think that you should change the surgeon but I am equally surprised to know that prior to surgery no investigations are orderd. Can you tell me where r u from (country?). In India normally we order:- Complete CBC (Complete blood count)/ blood urea/ Blood Sugar/ Urine routine and microscopic examination/ Xray chest/ and ECG/ before any suregry. (before major surgery we order some nore invesigations like- LFT/ Electrolyte/ HIV I and II/ and HbSAg etc)
Thank you for your response DR_RTewari.  We live in the United States but in a very small community.  When questioned about the blood work prior to surgery, the surgeon said it wasn't necessary because he could "tell by looking at" my husband that he was healthy.  Really?? My husband does not want to change surgeons, but your advice has convinced me to make an appointment with his general physician for a check-up and blood-work to be sure that he is healthy enough for the surgery.  Thanks again.

You are reading content posted in the General Surgery Community