Genetic Disorders Forum

THALASSEMIA MINOR

I'm a 41 y.o. male, writing from Athens, Greece. Since my childhood, I know that I have a hereditary disorder called "thalassemia minor". I would like to know if this has anything to do with mood and behavior disorders, such as depression and anxiety / panic disorders, tiredness or exhaustion. My HBC count is on the edge of normal values (i.e. not really anaemic). Is it worth to have a further test to define whether I've got subtype alpha or beta of "thalassemia minor" ?
Thanks in advance,
nickgr
We recommend that you consult with your physician regarding your symptoms.

Regarding beta-thalassemia and alpha-thalassemia, beta-thalassemia is most common in people of Mediterranean (i.e. Greek and Italian), Middle Eastern, Southeast Asian, southern Chinese and African descent. Alpha-thalassemia is most common in people of Southeast Asian, Indian, southern Chinese, Middle Eastern and African ancestry.

Beta thalassemia minor is when a person has one mutation in the HBB gene and is a carrier. These people typically do not have any symptoms, but may have a mild anemia and other changes in blood.

Alpha-thalassemia minor is when a person has two damaged (or missing) alpha-globin genes and is a carrier. These people typically do not have any major health problems, but may have mild anemia.

Hope this information is helpful and best of luck.
A related discussion, thal minor was started.
A related discussion, Beta Thalassemia Minor was started.
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.