Cousin couple, risk of genetic disorder

I am going to marry my first cousin (daughter of the sister of my mother).
The cousin marriage has been common in mother side the family.

Bother my mother and her sister are from cousins couple (our grand parents). Both of my grand parents were from cousin couples (our grand grand parents). May be also in upper generations.

The positive thing is that both my mother and her mother are married far outside families.

Now how serious is this matter in our marriage decision?

I am very thankful for the help
Regards

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

the folloing sentence is corrected as follows:

The positive thing is that both my mother and her sister are married far outside families.
Helpful - 0
It is a myth that marrying relatives is bad.  If Adam and Eve were the first two people on earth, then their children had to marry brothers and sisters to reproduce and populate the world as God told them to do.
Helpful - 0
An additional question:

Cousin marriages have been common in several generations in our family (grand parents, grand grand parents). Now I am also planned to marry my cousin (daughter of my mother’s sister). The positive thing is that my mother and her sister married out side families (non cousins).  

Question:

Do cousins’ marriages in previous generations have influence (increased the risks) on risks in our marriage?

Generation 1   cousins’ marriages
Generation 2   cousins’ marriages
Generation 3   non cousins’ marriage
Generation 4   cousins’ marriage (planned)
Helpful - 0
It may be too late but I am very curious to know if there have been any genetic disorders or birth defects in your family in past generations. This would be a great help as I plan to marry my first cousin and both of our parents were cousins. Please Help.
Helpful - 0
I worked with two little girls with signficant cognitive delays about thirty years ago.  The only thing that was ever found genetically was that the parents genetic profiles were almost identical (like they were twins).  The parents were distant (4th) cousins and did not know that until the testing.  They did also have one "normal" child, who was the oldest.  They were told that each successive child would be lower cognitively than the one previous.  There was only one additional pregnancy which miscarried.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Genetics Community

An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.