Genetics Community
965 Members
Avatar universal


Ok here's how it goes. I would consider myself a person with gender identity disorder.  But in researching that I have come to numerous questions about my birth.

My parents, as far as I can remember have never talked to me about my birth. There are some pieces to the puzzle here that I call to question, my name was never put on my birth certificate,  and (until I had to get my permit for driving), I heard my sister talking to my mother about my birth awhile ago and she said that "the doctor didn't know what I was at first"....

  I also have always, like the typical people with gender identity disorder always felt more like a boy....since forever.

Is it possible that I had some early genital ambiguity and that it was fixed and I wasn't told about it?  

What makes me question that is that I have never (to my knowledge) received hormone treatment, and I have a normal period in as far as it comes relatively monthly, its hard to say if it skips months because its not all that consistent in that I can't judge when it comes(not that I've really payed a lot of attention to it, with my disorder I prefer to think of it as little as possible).  And it is usually extremely painful, I'm not talking about normal cramps these things leave me writhing and I become nauseous, and sometimes my hands and legs become numb, and no its not because I hyperventilate from the pain, that's what the school nurse thought when I was in high school. I am not sexually active either. And I have gone in about that but I did some blood tests and there was really no conclusion other than take ibuprofen, which I take a lot of and that usually stops them, if I take them in time..

is it reasonable to question this? Or am I just searching for other reasons why I think the way I do

3 Responses
715883 tn?1260914791
All you can do right now it to ask mom or dad. You could chance asking your doctor when you visit the next time, but as a minor you have limited rights as to your health charts. I would think why not, it is your body and you have the right to know.

You may have a gender disorder self diagnosed by how you feel.  I have been in contact with many who were raise a girl knowing they were male and visa versa.

There is only one way I know how to find out and you are too young to get a Karyotype blood test ( a blood test that determines sex) but this is very expensive test if not covered by insurance < $900.00.
715883 tn?1260914791
Um I was wrong in the above message. You are not to young to get a sex chromosomes test. You can ask but it will have to be approved by your parents since their insurance will pay for it if it does.
Avatar universal
jj110, I have just joined this forum with similar issues to you, although I am a lot older. I have done lots of research on the internet over the years trying to find my own answers as I have been estranged from my family most of my life, and am not given straight answers when I do question.

I think it is reasonable to question things. I believed things I have been told, and find out now how untrue they have been. How you feel IS important, and with courage and persistence you will find your answers I trust.

In Australia, we are entitled to our medical records at age 18, and you are lucky you are posing these questions in a time where you will find support and people like you and unlike you who understand. I think it is key to keep asking questions until things "sit well with you". Information is so much easier to get hold of with the internet, and making contact with people who can support you is also available too.

Unfortunately for me, my medical records have been destroyed, and all I have is physical and psychological scars I am still trying to work with to find my truth.

There are many cases of many different conditions which blur the boundaries of M and F. It seems to me like a jigsaw puzzle. Gender, and gender identity, and sexual orientation, and sexual preference, are all different things and are all personal and unique to each individual.

Are you able to have any discussion with your sister, just to use it as a fact finding discussion to see what she thinks she knows, maybe bring up the conversation indirectly.  She may not in fact know too much, or she may have interpreted it incorrectly, but asking questions is a start.

In the short term it is not normal to be in that much pain due to menstruation. You need to consult a doctor about pain management, and to establish what is the cause of this pain. Can you tell your mother about the pain and ask her next time to get you to a Dr so she/he can assist you. There must be something that can be done in the short time to make your periods more manageable, and then you can deal with your other issues, bit by bit, as you question and learn.

I hope you get to read this, and hope that between the time you wrote your letter and now, that you are feeling better, and are finding out things you need to know.
Keep in touch.

Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.