Aa
A
A
A
Close
Genetics Community
966 Members

Mild CP or something more sinister...?

Hi, I have a six year old son who has had slightly low muscle tone since birth. He also has motor stereotypies and mild asd traits. Last year it was discovered that he has mild right sided upper motor neuron signs which definitely weren't there before.
I also have a 2 year old boy who has slightly low muscle tone and motor stereotypy. He is being seen by a peadiatrician next week for a mild and intermittent tremor.
I wonder if these symptoms are benign familial traits or a more sinister genetic condition. The main reason for my concern of the latter is that my older son's upper motor neuron signs weren't there previously. Although they are very mild what's to say they won't get worse since it has already progressed since last year...?
Any thoughts or opinions gratefully received.
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi,
How was your pedia consult? I understand your concern regarding this. There are a lot of possible issues with cerebral palsy including prematurity, genetic disorders, strokes, and infection of the brain and may be associated with other medical conditions. It would be best to discuss this with the boy's pediatrician for proper evaluation and to rule out any genetic cause. Additional diagnostic tests and genetic tests may also be indicated. Take care and do keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.