twins

hello,
I been trying to have a baby and when I do become pergent what are my chances of having twins? My mothers mom has 2 set of twins and there are twins and triplet on my fathers side in all most ever jeneration so does this mine that my chances of having twins is great
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i had idenitcal twins this past june and from what i read, fraternal twins do run in families, but it has to be on the mother's side.  but other factors also affect your chances such as race, age and whether or not you use fertility drugs.
Helpful - 0
I have 3.5 year old twin girls. I have a set of identical twin boy cousins on my side and my mom had an abortion at a younger age that was a set of twins. My husband has 5 sets of identical twins. I never took any fertility drugs and I was 21  almost 22 when my twins were born.
Helpful - 0
I would love to know how many twins in the world are really born natural without fertility drugs.
Helpful - 0
I work with a lady that just had identical twin boys. Her doctor told her that it's about a 1% chance of having them natural- amazing!
Helpful - 0
Basically, it is 3% or 1 in 33.

There are things that can increase your chances of having a multiple birth, including a mother being 30 or over when she conceives. For example, while there is a 3% chance of having a multiple birth at age 25-29, it increases to 4% at 30-34 years and almost 5% at 35-39 years.

Other factors that can increase your chances of having twins include having a maternal family history of multiple births (fraternal), and of course, using fertility treatments (in vitro fertilization or fertility drugs).

Your chance of having twins is also influenced by your race (multiples are more common in African Americans and least common in Hispanics and Asians), how many times you have been pregnant (the chance of having twins increases with each pregnancy), and whether or not you have had twins already.
Helpful - 0
My friend had triplets naturally..
She had 2 boys, ages 5 and 3 yrs old..
she really wanted a girl... so  they decided to have one more child...lol
She ended up with identical twin girls and a fraternal boy triplet.... NUTS!!
They all were born healthy with no problems..she was blessed.
If i remember correctly..she did have twins somewhere in her family line also....
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Genetics Community

An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.