Excessive gas

My 93 year old father feels pretty good except for excessive gas and sometimes diarrhea.  He says he does pretty good in the morning, but in the afternoon things start to build and by bedtime he is pretty miserable.  It seems to affect him about every other night.  He takes very little medication, just a multi-vitamin and an additional iron supplement that his doctor recommended about a year ago, also a medication for excessive gas that doesn't seem to be helping.  He sees his dr. regularly and they have done several tests finding no tumors, but he does have diverticulitis.  He is mentally clear and watches his diet pretty close.  I am wondering if the iron supplement might be causing some of this?  Thanks in advance for any information anyone might have that would give us some answers or at least questions to ask the dr.
I am 79. I an under the treatment of a gastro. Acidity, gas, pain in the lower ritght quadrant of abdomen and the rig/ tht testis. Pain is mild and intermitant. It is almost 2 months. There is not much relief. I do exercises, yoga, accupressue,and shiatsu. Still response is not very encouraging. It seems that with age, numbert non responding disorder increases.
I have resigned to the low vision, deafness, stiffness of legs, and now thei abdominnal problem.
I think your father problem is mostly due to iron.Weak intestinal does   system not assimiliate iron well..Long term supplement of iron is usually nor tecommende.
You might try that over-the-counter anti-gas product called "beano".

Another drill is to use Pepto-bismal for several days to kill bacteria, then re-populate the gut with yogurt.
Here we meet again after a very long time. I missed you.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try Beano if it is available in India. I am using Gasex an Ayurveda drug marketed by an Ayurveda firm named Himalaya Drug company. I have read about Beano now i shall try to get it.
The pain in right lower quadrant and in ritht testis were main concern as they may be harbinger of some serious problem .My gastroenteritis does not think so. So I am continuing. Can you give more details about peto-bismal? Many thanks for reappearing or should i say resurrecting.?
I have gone through the website of pepto bismol. It is rationale to kill bacteria which are causing gas and repopulate with yogurt and lacto bacilus. Thanks for the suggestion.
Thank you so much for the response.  As you suggest, I too feel the iron supplement might be part of the problem, along with just the normal aging process.  It is frustrating for him, and we want to do all we can.  I wish you well in your search for the solution to your issues.
Update:  The dr. appt. didn't show anything wrong and blood test showed elevated iron levels so dr. has taken him off the iron supplement.  Also told him that he was dealing with a 93 year old digestive tract and couldn't expect much improvement.  Not exactly the best news, but we will see what being off the iron will do.
Pepto-Bismal contains bismuth, which is bactricidal. Bismuth has been used in traditional medicine by many cultures for hundreds, if not thousands of years.
Thanks for Bismuth Subsalisilate. I have gone thruough quite a lot of materiao on it.
After 75, all physica disorderrs become special, requirin special diagnosis and special medication. Even a petty cold becomes Pnemonia. Till 75, i have hardly taken any medicines. During 47 yearr's service, I have taken  total 3 months' leave. I thought I am a superman. But now even a small gas perturbs me. well, time chanes every thing.

klrb70; Do write about cessation of iron effect.

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life