Looking for a doctor

My 78 year old mother had sepsis over a year ago and is still bedridden. We have seen many doctors including an ID doctor. Everyone of them tell us her blood test show no signs of sepsis.  Can anyone tell me the name of a doctor in Nevada, California or Arizona that understands what could still be wrong with her.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello and Welcome.

I'm a bit tardy to your post as I have been searching for a physician that may treat your mom. First let me say that she is fortunate to have your love, concern and devotion. Not all seniors are so fortunate. Bless you.

Here's a link to the Sepsis Alliance: http://www.sepsis.org/about/

It may help in your search. It contains information about Loma Linda University research in this area. I am not certain if LLU is affiliated with a hospital - I assume it is given what I have read. I am not familiar with your area of the US,

Loma Linda University (LLU) is a Seventh-day Adventist coeducational health sciences university is located in Loma Linda, California.  

Have you had your mom evacuated at one of the Mayo Clinics?

It stands to reason that a Clinic associated with a large teaching hospital would be more apt to believe in and treat Post-sepsis syndrome - if that is what your mom is experiencing.

I am more apt to believe that the sepsis may have been too much for your mom system to handle. Seniors tend to have less ability to recover from major illnesses. It's true that 78 can still be young - much depends on the individual. Only a thorough evaluation by a skilled and caring physician can give you the correct answers.

There are physicians that specialize in the care of seniors, usually beginning at 55. They are called Gerontologist. I have seen them preform near miracles in our senior population. I encourage you to have your mom evaluated by one. Check his or her credentials on line. Like in all specialties there are good and not so good ones.

I'm sorry I cannot provide you with a specific name. I know they are out there. Using the info I have provided and the link I am hopeful that you can locate a physician astute in treating your mom.

I wish you the very best. I know how very dear our parents are to us. My heart goes out to you. I hope you'll let us know how your search progresses and how your mom is doing.

Warm Regards,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
Why is your mother bedridden? What happens to her if she tries to be up and about? What symptoms does she have? Also please mention if she is on any medication and what her medical and surgical history is like..
Helpful - 0
Hello Dr. Rynne, My mother is bedridden because she is so weak that she cannot stand or even sit on the side of her bed. She recovered from a stroke 5 years ago but is having a really had time getting back to normal after having sepsis. She is taking hydralazine 50mg for high BP, Sertraline 25mg for depression, Nitrofur Mac 50mg for UTI, Donepezil 10mg for memory loss, and Novolin for high blood sugar.  We also have a PT that comes to her house but that is not really helping.  Best Regards,
Helpful - 0
Hello Tuckamore, Thank you for your kind words and help. My mother has been to the Cleveland Clinic In Las Vegas and they told us she has had some kind of brain damage from the sepsis that is causing her to have short term memory problems. I will try to get more information about the doctors you have mentioned. Best Regards.
Helpful - 0
You're welcome.

Keep searching. Everyday that you mom is not active is a strike against her at 78. She needs to get up and get moving if possible. She may benefit from a change in her Physical Therapist.

Brain damage can occur in her age following sepsis - obviously the CVA (stroke) must have left some weakness or brain injury no matter how slight.  

UTIs can also interfere with progress and mental status - actually any infection can manifest as a change of mental status in our seniors. I cared for a senior citizen that exhibited confusion and memory impairment as a first SX (symptom) of a UTI. As soon as we'd clear up the UTI she would return to her normal.

Again, your mom is so blessed to have you - don't give up.

~Tuck
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life